Brian

Seagate Laptop SSHD 1TB Review Discussion

Overall, the 1TB Seagate Laptop SSHD certainly offers those looking to inexpensively upgrade their HDD-based device with a viable choice. It's much lower price tag than that of a large capacity SSD. For those looking to a higher capacity option on a budget, the Seagate Laptop SSHD is a worthy contender in the SSHD market.

Seagate Laptop SSHD 1TB Review

Nice, I was actually thinking about buying one for an older laptop, 500gb capacity that is, because 1 platter is always better than two ;) Also the 3 year warranty, does it apply to oem drives as well?

On the side note, DOM: 07/2015 and they still use the old logo...

Edited by ChrisMcPole

Don't get me started on logos ;)

Not sure on OEM warranties, normally those pass through I think, but I have no recent experience, sorry. Maybe someone else knows and can weigh in.

It's a bit awkward to define what an "OEM" drive is these days given how many places sell "OEM" drives at retail.

If it's from a retailer (e.g. Newegg, Ebuyer, Amazon, etc.) marked as "OEM" it usually comes with the full warranty in my experience, if it's an OEM drive bundled inside an actual device (e.g. laptop, NAS, USB drive, etc.) then it will not have warranty of its own. Ironically Seagate used to offer longer warranties on bare-drives than retail boxed but I dunno if that's still true.

Overall, the 1TB Seagate Laptop SSHD certainly offers those looking to inexpensively upgrade their HDD-based device with a viable choice. It's much lower price tag than that of a large capacity SSD.

Dammit, just bought a 1TB SSD :(

I swear you guys had already reviewed the 1TB Seagate SSHD, but Googling I can't find it. You have reviewed the 500GB version though, that is 7mm thick.

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_sshd_thin_review_gen3_500gb_st500lm000

And I'm either going insane, or this is confusing "Seagate has updated their 2.5 inch laptop SSHD line with potential for improved performance as well as a slight increase in capacity from 750GB to 1TB."

This article is hinting that the 1TB SSHD has just been released, when really it is more like 2 years old. And it does not mention that the 750GB is 7200RPM and is a second gen hybrid (then named Momentus XT).

I thought the 500GB and 1TB SSHD was released at the same time. So 2 years ago when ST wrote the 500GB thin SSHD article, the 750GB was already not the highest capacity hybrid drive from Seagate at that point. So this article hints that all this time, the second gen 750GB Momentus XT has been the king of capacity for Seagates hybrid drives until August 2015.......

BTW article doesn't mention that it has 8GB of flash.

Edited by danwat1234

Just got my 500gb version in. 50Hrs into being plugged in it now fails HDD pro surface test with 64 non-movable sectors. Thanks Seagate, I guess assembling your top of the line laptop drives in China does not work as well as expected for you.

That's a bummer...at least you can return it instead of RMA.

Yeah Tigerdirect was slow but at least they paid for return shipping both ways (not likely to buy anything from them again because they are so slow to deliver in Canada, but I had a store credit sitting on my account since 2011, had to have it back ;)

Also speaking of logos, just noticed the HGST have changed theirs too, quietly. I guess the end of times is finally upon us.