RobertG

Import Samsung SSD information

Hi guys,

This is not a Samsung bash topic so please keep it clean.

I recently came across this blog from Angolia ( big search engine ). And there is some very important stuff about the Samsung SSD Trim and Linux.

https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/

I thought I might share this with you :)

Yeah I read about this about a month ago or thereabouts. It's interesting they say that it is not related to the queued TRIM bug which everyone else thought it was. Linux has been patched already to know Samsung drives are lying when reporting their TRIM capabilities so that has been 'fixed'. Oddly, Angolia seem to be the only ones encountering this "other" problem though.

I think it's because of Angolia uses a very big amount of them since they use allot of SSD's for their search engine. I recently was at a presentation of Angolia at the Leaseweb tech summit, and he kind of told a bit of this story but not mentioning any names.

But maybe other people will now start complain about this.

Blog post has been updated with additional information.

UPDATE July 17:
We have just finished a conference call with Samsung considering the failure analysis of this issue. Samsung engineering team has been able to successfully reproduce the issue with our latest provided binary.

Samsung had a concrete conclusion that the issue is not related to Samsung SSD or Algolia software but is related to the Linux kernel. Samsung has developed a kernel patch to resolve this issue and the official statement with details will be released tomorrow, July 18 on Linux community with the Linux patch guide. Our testing code is available on GitHub.

I wonder if this also is the case with the NVME/SATAe Samsung drives. I have a HP Z turbo drive which uses such a drive. Will try to find a way to test this.

Dunno about SATAe, most likely not NVMe. The issue(s) seem specific to the implementation (or lack thereof) of certain SATA NCQ commands, which for obvious reasons do not exist in NVMe - the entire stack was replaced.

Just took a read of the patch notes. Samsung seem to have found a bug in Linux's software RAID implementation.

Samsung working with Linux and Oracle kernel developers to patch obscure bugs - seems to be a massive about turn from their earlier statements of "Our drives don't work under Linux and we won't fix it because Linux."