uart

SMART? Getting a drive's maximum (historical) temperature.

As far as I know, all hard drives report the current temperature (in hexadecimal) in low order byte of the temperature raw data. However some drives seem to also report the temperature (in decimal) in the "value" field, and what looks like the historical maximum temperature in the "worst" field.

For example my seagate drives look like they report the actual temperature in the "value" and "worst" fields, but my WD and Hitachi drives seem to just use some kind of generic health value that counts down in those fields.

So just wondering, is there a way to get the historical maximum operating temperature from smart for all drives. Or is it only certain drives (like some Seagates) that provide this smart info?

Edited by uart
  • Like 1

There's a WD rep in the forums, perhaps he can weigh in on this query.

Thanks Brian. To make it a little clearer, here are some examples of the smart values I'm referring to.

With the Seagate drive in first image you can see that the current temperature is 28 hex which is 40C, and that the worst temperature on this drive has been 52C.

post-1765-0-41882800-1437417274_thumb.jp

With the WD drive in the second image however, you can only see that the current temperature is 1F hex, which is 31C.

post-1765-0-21064200-1437417303_thumb.jp

As far as I know, all hard drives report the current temperature (in hexadecimal) in low order byte of the temperature raw data. However some drives seem to also report the temperature (in decimal) in the "value" field, and what looks like the historical maximum temperature in the "worst" field.

For example my seagate drives look like they report the actual temperature in the "value" and "worst" fields, but my WD and Hitachi drives seem to just use some kind of generic health value that counts down in those fields.

So just wondering, is there a way to get the historical maximum operating temperature from smart for all drives. Or is it only certain drives (like some Seagates) that provide this smart info?

Hi there!

That is a very interesting question. I will do a little research about it and update you as soon as possible.

There's a WD rep in the forums, perhaps he can weigh in on this query.

P.S. Thank you for mentioning me @Brian! :)

All SMART data varies by manufacturer so there won't be any method universal for all drives. Most newer drives keep a temperature log history accessible via SCT, but the length of that log varies and it won't record an all-time maximum temperature.