uart

It's pretty quiet here these days.

12 posts in this topic

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been discussed ad nauseam in the past, so apologies in advanced about dredging up old news if that is the case. However, returning here recently after many years of absence, it really struck me as to just how quiet these forums are these days.

I've noticed similar trends in some other computer hardware forums as well. Is this related to a general down turn in forum usage in favour of things like facebook and the like. Or is it merely a reflection of the rise of the mobile device and a consequent loss of interest in "home builds" and upgrades that were so popular back when the desktop computer reigned a decade or more back?

Edited by uart

I think it depends on the segment you're talking about. A lot of the enterprise conversation has been captured by Spiceworks, but the problem there is it's mostly vendor reps giving advice. For home gear as more PCs are outfitted with flash out of the gate, I get the feeling the upgrade market is dwindling. We have anecdotal evidence from vendors that supports this notion to some degree. Anyway, make some more threads!

I agree, there is a significant change in people's interest. My strictly ancedotal point of view is that so much of tech is getting consumerized and turned into a commodity. There will always be those who want to dive deep and understand what's going on under the hood, but I'm afraid we're getting out numbered.

Now, that may not be a bad thing if we can continue to find ways to provide some useful service to our friends and employers. Time will tell.

Oh, and change is constant. That to me is the main factor. So, I'm just trying to enjoy the ride.

Besides upgrades, many past conversations were help requests. Those have tapered off significantly. Apparently due to more reliable hardware, and smarter software. And to users actually backing up.

I'm seeing the same thing at a tech forum I moderate. Traffic way down. People at work need less tech help, and students in school have more ways to waste time today. That leaves ... house wives / house husbands?

Maybe us forum people should add entertainment amenities.

I felt like I had a lot to add when we were discussing MegaRAIDs and Quantum Atlas 10k II's back in what...1999, and I quickly embraced the early 40, 60, and 90GB SSD's along with virtualization, and I certainly enjoy reading about the datacenter storage evolution, but personally I don't have much to add to today's threads. I have virtually no storage experience beyond the modern-day equivalents of the things I just mentioned. I always hoped for more RAID controller and array coverage way back then so I'm not at all displeased with today's articles and threads.

Tech support wise: As long as we have experienced and knowledgeable users, we can help out most people. Even if you knowledge is of ancient hardware from the last decade, you likely know some tricks that still matter and you probably know how to google :P

Besides, I hate seeing threads with 1% solid reply and rest of it is just agreeing with the guy above him.

I think it depends on the segment you're talking about. A lot of the enterprise conversation has been captured by Spiceworks, but the problem there is it's mostly vendor reps giving advice. For home gear as more PCs are outfitted with flash out of the gate, I get the feeling the upgrade market is dwindling. We have anecdotal evidence from vendors that supports this notion to some degree. Anyway, make some more threads!

Intel and Microsoft layoff are good evidence for the pc consumer market. Good thing we can diversify the reviews with enterprise content which will help.

Want more threads? I think we need to do some giveaways... ohh make sure to announce them on them fancy social media sites that are helping to kill forums/blogs ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been discussed ad nauseam in the past

Like here?:

http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/27785-the-fall-of-storagereview/

Honestly, I thought there was at least one more recently it but I can't find it. Comes up every few years though. Maybe we're just the strong silent type. Or what was the saying, quality not quantity?

I'm seeing the same thing at a tech forum I moderate. Traffic way down.

Maybe us forum people should add entertainment amenities.

Meh, IMO it's large social media giants like Reddit taking over a lot of "forum" like traffic.

ohh make sure to announce them on them fancy social media sites that are helping to kill forums/blogs ;)

You leave a wink there but that's very true, dedicated social media sites have absorbs a lot of traffic from the old school forums.

Meh, IMO it's large social media giants like Reddit taking over a lot of "forum" like traffic.

I haven't been on SR for so long that I forgot my username. I knew I was one of the early re-registrants after the big crash so I just went to the oldest members and moved back through a few pages until I found myself.

I think Reddit is a big part of where forum traffic has gone. /r/buildapc has 327k+ members and hundreds or more online at any given time. That's just one PC-related subreddit and maybe not even the largest.

Anyway, I'm not really sure why I came back to check things out, I guess just some idle time and a desire to see how my old stomping grounds is doing...

I haven't been here since the great Db/forum meltdown back, way back when.... Those were the days where the Raptor reigned supreme. Mylex cards were old news, Adaptec had crappy drivers, Promise was just picking up steam with consumers... I don't recall what the RAID card hotness was at the time (ATTO?)... We all wanted to try RAID0 for desktop use, only to not gain anything.. Ha!

I think continuum is an old name I remember. I don't recall what name I used to have back then, but this is close enough.

Edited by mitchm3