sf5001

Seagate barracuda 3Tb life expectancy is 2 years; confirmed by www.sea

Seagate barracuda 3Tb life expectancy is 2 years; confirmed by www.seagate.com customer service. All the tools and applications developed by Seagate are made to detect or recover data. So, they know the junk they have and they make money upon data recovery.

This is how it went: purchased the hard drive, downloaded their software to set the partitions, then, after about 2 years, my Windows 7 64bit crashed trying to gather info from one of the partitions. Contacted their support and even if their hard drive still in warranty, they will not helped me. They told me to contact their "data recovery" division to help me. Well, I have called them 1-800-Seagate and they told me to send the hard drive to their lab and the charge will be 550 Pounts (aprox. 700USD). This is not admissible to have a hardware that will last 2 years....
Dome some digging and found: "One of the most frequent FIRMWARE problems is that of the class of Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drives, where after a certain operation period the hard drives become unavailable due to a problem in production, the most frequent models with this problem are ST3500320AS, ST31000340AS, ST3750330AS with firmware SD15". This is another example that Seagate business strategy is based on again, on "data recovery".
Keeping short: they sell falty hardware and gain money from data recovery.

If any of the Seagate team members reads this, please don't try to deny. I have promised you that I will make the world know your type of business you're doing.

All brands of hard drive are subject to random failure, it's just the nature of the beast. I've used just about every major brand of HDD over the past 25 years and believe me that any brand can fail unexpectedly. At different times I've had a very good run with one brand (say WD) and a poor run with another (say seagate for example), and then at other times those fortunes have been reversed.

The main problem is that good information about the reliability of any particular brand/model is rarely available until many units have been in operation for many years, by which time that particular model is obsolete anyway. Yes I've certainly had a few seagate drives fail early on me, but I've also had many still in perfect health after 5+ years of daily use. Averaged over many years I'd say I've had very similar experiences with Seagate as I've had with WD and Samsung.

As you've apparently just now discovered, the hardware is relatively inexpensive but data recovery not necessarily so. No manufacter warranty covers data recovery, warranties are always limited to the hardware itself. The key of course is to have a good backup strategy in place before disaster happens. And to be honest this has never been easier or more affordable, with the low cost per GB of external drives these days. Sorry to be the one to say it, but there really is no good reason for you failing to backup your data.

Edited by uart