Adam_a

Samsung P3 Portable (4TB) Review

The P3 is Samsung's first SMR drive. It comes preloaded with standard security software, including SafetyKey (password), AutoBackup (backup), and SecretZone (data encryption). It can be managed through Samsung's basic management software (Samsung Drive Manager). It carries a price tag of $179.99, $89.99, $64.99, and $49.99 for the 4TB, 2TB, 1TB, and 500GB model, respectively, and has a 3-year limited warranty.

Samsung P3 Portable (4TB) Review

The drive has the best performance, yet is using SMR? Apparently that's true for sequential loads of up to 5 GB at once. But everything else is unknown. Guys, you know there's far more to SMR HDD performance than this. You do not necessarily have to test it all, but at least mention a word of caution in the conclusion!

MrS

For a portable drive less caution is warranted honestly. We did run some longer tests and didn't see degradation. Not all SMR is created equal.

Brian, did you tried to open the drive to see if its possible (yeah i know, goodbye warranty) to see if USB bridge is soldered directly in the HDD PCB or if drive still uses standard SATA connectors ?

TIA,

AJSB

... did you tried to open the drive to see if its possible (yeah i know, goodbye warranty) to see if USB bridge is soldered directly in the HDD PCB or if drive still uses standard SATA connectors ?

This was one of the main reasons I looked at the review, and I was also disappointed to not see this information there.

There was a time when internal drives would be first to market. So enthusiasts got equal shot at them. Not so today. These days external (portable) drives are the first to market. So enthusiasts who want the latest and greatest in internal hard drives will need to buy external drives like these and pull the internal drive from them... if the external connector bridge isn't soldered to the drive, as you mentioned

Of course as you also mentioned, you might lose the warranty.

I'll add that you also need to be someone who doesn't mind the 15-mm Z-height. I dont mind since I have 15-mm capable racks and use these in tower machines. But, some people will mistakenly think they can pull these drives and fit them into a standard 9.5mm Z-height laptop drive bay... which of course won't work.

But, if you are an enthusiast, and everything lines up just right, pulling internal drives from external drive cases can get you the highest capacity drives long before the manufacturer opens up to selling the internal drives to the retail market.

And whether that was possible... or not... used to be information that you could get here.

someone at newegg said using HDTune pro to test, and find 8 pending/uncorrectable sectors at the beginning.

unbelievable this site doesn't test with more-feature testing tool, but only speed test. pity.

Do you mean they should test their samples for bad sectors or are your 2 sentences unrelated? Bad sector will vary greatly from drive to drive, so single drive samples are pretty much useless.

MrS