Adam_a

Samsung 850 PRO SSD 2TB Review

The Samsung 850 PRO is a 2.5” SSD powered by 3D virtual NAND technology. The latest entry in the line is a 2TB model, which not only is the highest capacity drive in the 850 PRO line, it is also currently the highest capacity for the entire SSD market. The previous 850 PROs we tested have remained as the top performers we’ve seen in a 2.5” form factor. Samsung is looking to take this performance and bring it into higher capacity (in this case doubling the previous maximum capacity). The drive has a SATA interface and comes with a 10-year warranty.

Samsung 850 PRO SSD 2TB Review

I find it quite interesting how the performance of all 8 SSDs is nearly indistinguishable in the IOMeter synthetics, all within single-digit percentages of the median, yet you get differences of over 300% in the Storagemark captures.

Interesting review. The 2TB versions don't seem to be much faster though than the 1TB versions. It looks like performance tops out at around 1tb really.

Out of curiosity, how much better is the MHX Controller versus the MEX/MGX? I'd assume the "H" denotes "a later model compared to "E""?

Edit:

I suppose at this point, V-NAND has proven reliable enough as to not deter anyone.

Edited by CrazyElf

I find it quite interesting how the performance of all 8 SSDs is nearly indistinguishable in the IOMeter synthetics, all within single-digit percentages of the median, yet you get differences of over 300% in the Storagemark captures.

You can find similar trends with enterprise drives as well. Latency interaction plays a key role.

Come to think of it, has the SATA3 interface been completely saturated? Is that why we aren't seeing gains over the 1TB version?

Could the controller be improved somehow? Maybe a larger cache?

The only real benefit I see is that for a 2TB SSD, this is relatively power efficient.

Come to think of it, has the SATA3 interface been completely saturated? Is that why we aren't seeing gains over the 1TB version?

Even the 128GB saturates the SATA-3 interface during reads, the 256GB-512GB will saturate during writes. Hence there's not much difference going from 0.5TB to 1.0TB already, let alone 2TB.

Could the controller be improved somehow? Maybe a larger cache?

The only real benefit I see is that for a 2TB SSD, this is relatively power efficient.

Hmm. AFAIK SSD controllers have been reducing their cache size and often eliminating them completely. But that could have been just Sandforce.

Does anyone have the specs for the MHX Controller? Is it just a die shrink or a small upgrade of the MEX?

Come to think of it, has Sandforce entirely disappeared as a major player since being acquired?

Off topic

Storagereview is the most relevant when it comes to hd/ssd benchmarks and I have used it for years.

That's why google decided to put the SR 850 pro test result as the last one in the second page of results.....

Love SR, hate google.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is it possible to use these drives in a NAS or in a server RAID array? The price differential between these and enterprise drives is very large. Thanks!

I would be using six of these in a small server set up in RAID 10 or RAID 6. The use would primarily be for virtualized servers, including an Exchange server, an application server, an accounting server, and a file server. It will be serving a relatively small workgroup with 10 to 15 users. What do you think?

In my opinion, you're better off paying a little more for the light enterprise models with capacitors, etc. if you're going to use them in a business critical situation. You don't really need Pro performance for what you're doing anyway. Get an entry-enterprise SATA set and be on your way.

I'd agree for a business critical server I'd be a bit more conservative but can't see a big issue with them in a RAID-6. I've personally never ever seen a 2.5" SSD fail due to flash wear-out in actual use. If you can find a better enterprise SSD in a similar price range, by all means go for it, but with a 10-year warranty the 850 Pro's aren't half bad either. You may well get better reliability out of these than some cheap "enterprise" or "server" SSDs from other manufacturers.

Thanks for the feedback. I know that the enterprise drives would be more advisable but the difference in price is very large at this capacity level. It sounds like the 850 PRO 2TB would work although not ideally. It seems like it is worth the substantial cost savings for my purposes. One related question: Given the choice between using Intel fake raid and MS software raid, which is the better option? I am unclear how trim works in either scenario and what the pros/cons are.