tbaror

Hesitating between ST6000VN0001 and ST6000NM0004?

Hello All,

I need to build small storage that will hold few vm guests under XENSERVER , I would like to buy either ST6000VN0001 or ST6000NM0004

My question from which should i expect better performance and more suitble for such workload?

BTW any other suggestion will be more than welcome :)

Please advice

Thanks

Performance should be very close between the two. Will you be running a single disk or a multiple disk configuration?

Thanks for the answer ,

i will run multiple disk up to 12 in raid

Do you have that much of a capacity need? Interested in learning more about your Xen environment. Performance isn't going to be super for either, the call between the two is likely more of a price decision than anything else. Given the options you're considering it doesn't sound like this is a business critical use case.

Do you have that much of a capacity need? Interested in learning more about your Xen environment. Performance isn't going to be super for either, the call between the two is likely more of a price decision than anything else. Given the options you're considering it doesn't sound like this is a business critical use case.

Hi ,

The XEN should be able to hold around about 35 concurrent guest's with 6 hosts , and more on standby guest to be able to work on ad hoc different platforms

I am intending to use FreeNas (zfs)with lots of memory (128GB) and 2x240GB ssd for cache using iscsi over 10G

But i am willing to learn and improve my plan if you have better suggestion

Thanks

Edited by tbaror

Well if you hang here much you'll quickly learn that we're not big fans of Free NAS. However if you have the time to tune it and tweak it, you'll probably be fine. It just requires (or enables?) more handholding than I like.

@tbaror

The ST6000NM0004 is rated for 550TB/year workload, the highest in the industry as far I am aware of.

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/enterprise-hdd-fam/enterprise-capacity-3-5-hdd/constellation-es-4/en-us/docs/100740544d.pdf

This high workload is beneficial for handling the high amounts of random IOPS from virtual storage/compute virtualization tasks.

For long term use, I would suggest looking at using the Enterprise Capacity drive considering it's higher workload over the Enterprise NAS drive.

This will save on headaches/drive maintenance (ie, replacing a failed drive, rebuilding volumes) should this occur in your array.

Hope this helps,

Edited by pythagoras

The ST6000NM0004 is rated for 550TB/year workload, the highest in the industry as far I am aware of.

Back in the old days, before "the industry" came up with the genius idea of charging twice as much for the same drive after sticking a couple extra numbers on the spec sheet, all drives had infinity TB/year workload.

This high workload is beneficial for handling the high amounts of random IOPS from virtual storage/compute virtualization tasks.

The only thing beneficial for handling high amounts of random IOPS is high random IOPS ratings.

For long term use, I would suggest looking at using the Enterprise Capacity drive considering it's higher workload over the Enterprise NAS drive.

This will save on headaches/drive maintenance

"Workload" is nothing but marketing twaddle. Enterprise drives do not "save on headaches". Companies that have run hundreds of thousands of drives find enterprise drives to be no more reliable than desktop drives and if anything, they can even be worse.