Sign in to follow this  
alpha754293

FINAL FANTASY MUSIC ROCKS!!!!

I have a friend of mine that's like...really into video game music. So, I remembered that another friend of mine had sent me this song from Final Fantasy (FF8 - Love Grows) and I LOVE IT. The entire arrangement...it's so pretty. I love it. So, now I've started on this like....craze about music from Final Fantasy and I've just realized how much I've been missing out on. I mean..some of them have like....4 or 5 discs for the game, and it's JUST the music alone. It's crazy!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!

Though...tracking down the performance version (i.e. as per original soundtrack) for the piano part for the song "Love Grows" is proving to be harder than I would have thought. But, still....it's good.

As far back as FFIII (or was it II? I think it was III) they put the music out on CD. A friend of mine had it -- the opera scene from FFIII actually ain't that bad, if you can get past teh MIDI sounds....

If you are having troubles tracking down the FF music, just try Japan (Tokyo). That kind of stuff is all over the place here. (Guys wait in lines like star wars lines for days on end for the new games!).

I can check the local discount book store and see if they have it. Stay tuned.

The tracks from FF9 are incredible along with the ones from FFX. Certain chords are also restated in tracks from FF9.

Another fantastic soundtrack is the one for Metal Gear Solid 2: The Sons of Libery. The guy that did the soundtrack for The Rock agreed to do the tracks for the game after Hideo Kojima and his crew mixed together tracks he had done for other movies and sent it to him. He was impressed enough to compose for the game.

Many japanese games have always had stirring tracks. They spend talent on games that we in the States would otherwise see in movies or television. Their anime is particularly famous (infamous?) for the wide range of music created for the medium...some of which employ full orchestras (the same with games).

You can get a ton of gaming music just by doing a search for 'game music' on Google. There's actually a small industry out there catering to the crazy gamers that listen to the tunes. The only problem is that many of the CD sets are expensive since they're imports. Many of the sets released in the States are severely watered down. For example, the CD released for FF9 was one CD. The complete set, available in Japan, was about four...and you'll sometimes find additional releases with even more music or variations!

Another cool soundtrack is the one for Macross Plus. Very cool tracks on that one, but I'm not too hot about the Sharon Apple bits. :)

I'm not into Japanese game music but I thought the MIDI in Descent was phenomenal. And of course the truly creepy audio on the original Quake disc.

I happen to know the guy who composed the music for Mechwarrior II. I worked with his wife for awhile. Mechwarrior II had great audio tracks, too.

Anyway, games made in the US can too have good music. :P

:D Oh no, please don't get me wrong. As long as the experience is enhanced by the tunes, the package is all good.

For a few Stateside wonders, I'm into RPGs for the most part and Jeremy Soule's tracks for Morrowind and Dungeon Siege (I love the opening track to Dungeon Siege when you start out) were simply beautiful, but there are many more examples out there.

I'm still partial to the ending tracks to Ravage DCX, a little known game released for the PC years ago. Excellent action oriented music, but the game was cheesy.

Halo had some excellent tracks that matched the action, especially towards the end as you raced to the climax...the music almost seemed to follow you.

The same for the music and sound for any of the Warcraft III trailers. Fantastic stuff with amazing visuals and music to match. They feel a lot more like theatrical trailers than just 'game' trailers...and that's great!

well...I'm like trying to track the orchestral score to FF8's "Love Grows". Cuz I LOVE the whole thing...and...it's impossible to find it. (Especially the piano part from it).

Believe me...the local stores here in Windsor....might as well have been non-existent. They're totally useless for stuff like that. It's...too much of a speciality item for a white hick town like Windsor. We're like the opposite of Toyko then in that regard. We can't find ANYTHING...even if we wanted to.

I haven't listened to much of it just yet....finding them is hard enough as it is. So far I've only heard a medley arrangement for band, and Love Grows. Pretty much that's it...and I THINK..that that song....uses a full orchestra. Or at least..it most certainly SOUNDS like it does.

There's probably like 20-30 CDs for the entire Final Fantasy Suite. It's crazy...though some songs I think are repeated, but...4 CDs of music for like....a game??? Damn....most movies don't even have that much in it.

I've placed the order for the book for FF8 I think....a little while ago. It's supposed to have all the songs from the FF8 soundtrack on it and it's like 272 pages. (Some of Andrew Lloyd Webber books aren't even that big.) It's crazy..and that's JUST a Piano score (probably a reduced piano score.)

I've just discovered this...and it's like....WOW.....and I've been MISSING this the whole time? Dang....

If you're hungry for a turn based one, a good one is Fallout and Fallout 2. Fallout 2 is more open ended than the first one (I'll warn you about the first one, there IS a time limit you have to beat). I love the Fallout perk/skill system and how it does round by round combat. It's not first person, but it's still fantastic.

Other than that, there's the Baldur's Gate series (which has a 'sort of' round by round system if you consider spacebarring round by round).

Anachronox is another good one. It's third person, but the combat runs on a round by round basis a la 'Final Fantasy'.

The only one that I can think off that would be old school round by round would be ye olde Gold Box series from SSI. Were you looking for something like that?

Anyone have anything else? That's all I can think of right now.

Most of the Ultima series would fall into that category. Ultima 7 was even given a makeover into a highres Windows game, IIRC.

Far as things go, I found Fallout to be really unsatisfying. I just finished it. I was really annoyed that I missed beating the deadline by four days; if I knew that all I had to do was talk my way through that stupid base I could've finished it before the deadline. :(

Ahhh, Ultima 7... I miss that Blackrock Sword. :)

I thought Fallout was great...until the end when I missed the deadline by one day. I spent too much time exploring. I talked my way into the base and then began the massive breakout. I picked up a ton of stuff and made good my escape only to be stopped enroute to the last objective (or first depending on what order you went in). That was a surprise that I wasn't expecting made all the more bitter by the fact that I didn't have a save that went back far enough. :?

Fallout 2 was much better. The best part for me was when my car was stolen and I had to find the chop shop to get it back.

BTW, for anyone interested in anything Bard's Tale, there's a team out there recreating the 'Bard's Tale' series 'unofficially' as an episode. It's using the same interface and mechanics of the original series, but with improved graphics and engine. Do a search for 'Bard's Tale Devil Whisky' and you should be able to find the site that has it. From what I understand, it will be a free download once it is done.

I'm interested in hearing your final fantasy music... where can i get it?

can you email it to me? I have my own mail server and 2Mbit download so It wont be a problem for me (blake@anime-jennie.com)

or do you have a webserver that you've uploaded it to?

thx

-blake

I'm interested in hearing your final fantasy music... where can i get it?

can you email it to me? I have my own mail server and 2Mbit download so It wont be a problem for me (blake@anime-jennie.com)

or do you have a webserver that you've uploaded it to?

thx

-blake

Blake email me at alpha754293@hotmail.com, and I'll try to set you up with your own FTP account on my server so that I can just dump all the stuff there. P.S. talk to me about it in the email