Brian

Supermicro SuperServer 1028U-TNR4T+ Review Discussion

NVMe slots aren't tied to any RAID chipset, that is for the HDD/SSDs only.

I was so hopeful there for a minute that you'd found a way. :) I'm looking at a 6028R, with a E5-2698 v3 in it (it's cheaper to go stupid high core count than put a second cpu in, thanks to Oracle's stupidity with vmware and DB licensing), and was disappointed there doesn't seem to be any NVMe hardware raid options out there.

Well NVMe routes through the PCIe bus directly... not SATA or SAS. Almost certain it will never be an option.

I was so hopeful there for a minute that you'd found a way. :) I'm looking at a 6028R, with a E5-2698 v3 in it (it's cheaper to go stupid high core count than put a second cpu in, thanks to Oracle's stupidity with vmware and DB licensing), and was disappointed there doesn't seem to be any NVMe hardware raid options out there.

One of the many reasons I frequently advocate software RAID.

Well NVMe routes through the PCIe bus directly... not SATA or SAS. Almost certain it will never be an option.

Well, given we have PCIe splitters and combiners and such, as well as PCIe switches and even network fabrics, I wouldn't say it's completely out of the question. Particularly given motherboard manufacturers have been eager to add features to their BIOS/EFIs to support NVMe boot.

I suspect there may have to be some CPU manufacturer involvement though, given the integration of SATA controllers, PCIe controllers and IOHs into the CPU package and what not. Unless someone makes a full-fabric PCIe solution.

One of the many reasons I frequently advocate software RAID.

In this case, since it's a vmware esxi server there's no option for software raid. The Intel P3710 pcie card is on their HCL, but the idea of putting a single card in makes me nervous, even though it's faster than the hardware raid10 I'd be putting in.

Fair point. That said, using the NVMe flash for booting ESXi itself is rather pointless so a passthrough or soft-RAID in the VM guests may be an option... though that's getting pretty arduous.