ChromeBeauty

Are fans any threat to a hard disk?

Hi

So are fans any threat to a hard disk?

I ask because my my case the drive has a fan in front of it, it's not touching the HD but is maybe only some millimeters away from the front of the HD and I wonder if that could be a problem.

I saw a statistic a while back where a "hot" average temp(above 40C) also shows a higher annual failure rate but "cold" temps(30-15C) see a higher rate too.

But it's not like cooling is always needed, in normal workload most HD don't seem to get "hot", I had some external drives in use some years back and for normal business they didn't get hot but running a backup where the drives had a high constant workload the external cases got so hot(way above 40C) that I turned on the mini fans to get them back down.

Wouldn't it actually help the life of the hard drive somewhat? Electronics like it when they run cooler in general.

Possibly, but only if the drives are running way too hot without it. Hard drives are primarily electro-mechanical, not electronic, so require a narrow temperature range for everything to move and flow smoothly.

I saw a statistic a while back where a "hot" average temp(above 40C) also shows a higher annual failure rate but "cold" temps(30-15C) see a higher rate too.

But it's not like cooling is always needed, in normal workload most HD don't seem to get "hot", I had some external drives in use some years back and for normal business they didn't get hot but running a backup where the drives had a high constant workload the external cases got so hot(way above 40C) that I turned on the mini fans to get them back down.

Yes, indeed. Temperatures too low or too high are both associated with elevated failure rates, so lower isn't always better.

i believe hdd maker put consideration regarding thermal changes when designing their hdd

but like we already know, for electronics, they better stay at stable temperature rather than cold-hot hot-cold

on hot condition metal part can expanding, even it just a mere slight changes can cause failure overtime

and shrink when back to cold

another article i read recently is that often temperature changes can cause solder-joint to fail over time

well i think thats why some people saying better leave system on 24/7

as for fans

i dont think it cause any threat to hdd

although hdd itself is not vacumm product, some hdd even mention not to cover holes,

maybe u think dust will cause issue, but i dont think that will be the case

the rotational hdd design push air outside instead sucking air inside

another thing is more heat more isnt good for hdd

especially in packed case, so u want fans to blow heat from hdd

• Like 1