Sign in to follow this  
blakerwry

How to check a hard drives Power On Hours (POH)

I remember reading that someone checked the POH of a deathstar he recently aquired using SMART...

can anyone tell me how i can do this myself... I have used the IBM tools before but did not see an option for this... Is there a specific SMART program that enables users to view the POH?

thx

-Blake

Dtemp. Shows drive temp in taskbar if drive is supported(IBM and D740X). If you right click on the dtemp icon in the taskbar, select show SMART attributes, select your drive and a window pops up showing attributes for that drive. The attribute should look like this(my 15gb 75GXP):

(green dot) Power-on time count 100 0 000000001A48h OC EC

Open Window's calculator, set it to scientific, switch it to hex, use the buttons( and the letter buttons on the calc.) to type in the letters/numbers between the zeros and the h ie 000000001A48h. Switch the calc to dec and it should give you the number in hours.

Dtemp:

private.peterlink.ru/tochinov

My drives(dtemp can't read SCSI devices yet :( ):

15gb 75GXP=6728 hours

Travelstar 30GN=231 hours

WD200BB=499 hours

If you have any red dots next to any attributes, backup your data and consider a new drive.

Note that the SMART power-on "hours" on some drives (Samsungs for sure, probably some Maxtors as well) are some time unit smaller than hours, though.

I remember reading that someone checked the POH of a deathstar he recently aquired using SMART... 

Could I be that person? :?

I purchased two used 75GXP's recently, a 15gb and a 45gb.

Dtemp.  Shows drive temp in taskbar if drive is supported(IBM and D740X).

i have Quantum AS fireball plus and seagate VI, are they supported by the D temp and power programs or i will crahs my drives when i run them?

i have Quantum AS fireball plus and seagate VI, are they supported by the D temp and power programs or i will crahs my drives when i run them?

Dtemp probably will not show the temp of these drives, but it will read the SMART and won't crash your drives.

I checked a Quantum Fireball ST 2.1gb for hours. The drive has about 17,000 hours on it, and stilll works fine!

My drive has been used for only 486 hours = 20 Days and the drive is only 4 months old :D .

Dtemp probably will not show the temp of these drives, but it will read the SMART and won't crash your drives.

If a "Seagate VI" is really a Barracuda ATA IV, then the drive does allow software to find out the temperature. I haven't tried Dtemp on it so I don't know if Dtemp works, but I know that the 'Cuda IV's temperature can be read using smartctl (from smartsuite 2.1) under Linux.

k...for my IBM IDE drive. as of 6:00 PM GMT-05, 2002 06 13

1E7F = 7807 = 325.2917 days. And I've had it since last July (nearly a year).

Nice tool! I wish it could check my SCSI drives. I just checked my WD expert 18GB and it reports the drive has been powered on for:

15846 hours!!!

That's 660 Days!

It also reports 28 degrees C.

I have 45G GXP75s, four of the suckas and would love to know what SMART's reporting on them, unfortunately DTemp's not registering any of the drives, I presume because they're running on a 7410 3ware RAID card.

Any other ways I can get to the SMART info?

I just checked my WD1000BB, and it says it has an 8MB cache. Is there any other program that will confirm this? I know there where some JBs being sold as BBs, so I guess I got one.

Steve

wished that I could check the hard drive on the shitbox cuz I"ve had it for like....4 or 5 years now...lol.

k..just tried to check it for the old drive. No luck :(....it doesn't show the power on hours. I did find out though, that it's a UDMA 2 drive (I think...maxing out at 25 MB/s).

What does "Power-on Hours" mean for a hd?

Well it means how long the HDD has been on working from the begining.

Some hd's are rated for a service life of 5 years/20000hours. It's nice to know how many hours are on your hd so you know whether or not to replace the drive soon.

Some hd's are rated for a service life of 5 years/20000hours. It's nice to know how many hours are on your hd so you know whether or not to replace the drive soon.

LOL....crap...in that case..with or without the POH, I should have replaced the drive from my shitbox long ago...lol....:);)

P.S. On the drive label itself, it says: CCC 31 Jan 1998. (Whatever CCC means, but I think that's the date in which the drive was manufactured or the date in which is was approved by the quality people.) I'm not 100% sure. In either case, realistically, it means that I've only had the drive for like...between 3 and 4 years (I thought it would have been longer than that, but guess now.)

Still....it's a dead-beat anyways...I think that I've hammered on it enough.

(3 weeks of installing and uninstalling between W98SE, W2K, Corel Linux (to the point where Linux wouldn't even go on it at all anymore), and Solaris....3 weeks STRAIGHT....get up...install...go to school..come back...install...play a game...install...batch render...install...trying to find out the combination that works the best for multi-boot on the poor soul/computer. Turns out...neither of them really worked, and Solaris is probably the only relatively stable system out of the 4 OSes.)

(Didn't get to play around with Linux too much though, so can't really say that Linux is actually "bad".)

P.S. On the drive label itself, it says: CCC 31 Jan 1998. (Whatever CCC means, but I think that's the date in which the drive was manufactured or the date in which is was approved by the quality people.) I'm not 100% sure. In either case, realistically, it means that I've only had the drive for like...between 3 and 4 years (I thought it would have been longer than that, but guess now.)

Still....it's a dead-beat anyways...I think that I've hammered on it enough.

(3 weeks of installing and uninstalling between W98SE, W2K, Corel Linux (to the point where Linux wouldn't even go on it at all anymore), and Solaris....3 weeks STRAIGHT....get up...install...go to school..come back...install...play a game...install...batch render...install...trying to find out the combination that works the best for multi-boot on the poor soul/computer. Turns out...neither of them really worked, and Solaris is probably the only relatively stable system out of the 4 OSes.)

(Didn't get to play around with Linux too much though, so can't really say that Linux is actually "bad".)

Try an LLF program on the drive, like the one from Maxtor's website(Maxllf for DiamondMax 7500) It will also work on other brand hd's. Or try WD's Data Lifeguard(it has a LLF function, but only works with WD drives).

Once you LLF the drive, you should be able to install Linux and get another year out of the drive :D .

CCC is the date of manafacture.

well..actually...with my old WD drive (the one in the shitbox), the install would run (takes between 4-5 hours though), and then when I finally go to reboot, it would start up and then it would give me this message (Red background, white letters: Bad PBR signal) ...which I think PBR means Primary Boot Record.

So...obviously..something's like..wrong with the drive (hehe..you THINK???) In any case...I've kinda scrapped the Linux idea for now cuz 5 hours and nothing good comes out of it anyways. Besides, I'm happy with the Solaris set up right now. It has my web server on it too!

But maybe if I could migrate the Solaris to another system (when I can get another system, finance being the limiting factor of course), then I'd probably give the WD LLF thing a shot. Coolio....never knew about that. (kinda given up on the drive actually..that's why it's running Solaris in the first place. (well...drive and system).

well..actually...with my old WD drive (the one in the shitbox), the install would run (takes between 4-5 hours though), and then when I finally go to reboot, it would start up and then it would give me this message (Red background, white letters: Bad PBR signal) ...which I think PBR means Primary Boot Record.

So...obviously..something's like..wrong with the drive (hehe..you THINK???) In any case...I've kinda scrapped the Linux idea for now cuz 5 hours and nothing good comes out of it anyways. Besides, I'm happy with the Solaris set up right now. It has my web server on it too! 

But maybe if I could migrate the Solaris to another system (when I can get another system, finance being the limiting factor of course), then I'd probably give the WD LLF thing a shot. Coolio....never knew about that. (kinda given up on the drive actually..that's why it's running Solaris in the first place. (well...drive and system).

An LLF erases everything. File structure, Master Boot Record, Partition log, Bad sectors(assuming the problem is corruption and not bad spots on the media). It's the same as getting the drive new out of it's box from the factory :D .

can anyone tell me how i can do this myself... I have used the IBM tools before but did not see an option for this... Is there a specific SMART program that enables users to view the POH?

thx

-Blake

Just a note - I have a 30GB 75GXP HD, and I recently upgraded using the OEM (generic) firmware update, to A5AA.

I run DTemp in W2K SP2 to check SMART parameters. I noticed that at some point after the firmware update flash, most of the parameters (such as the POH count) were reset to zero. Same with start/stop cycles. :(

It did still maintain the number of reallocated sectors, which is good.

So, it's both good and bad. Bad, mainly, because someone could do the firmware update, and erase the POH and start/stop cycle count before reselling the drive. The only good thing is, there is no way to re-flash the same firmware level again, and re-zero the data.

An LLF erases everything. File structure, Master Boot Record, Partition log, Bad sectors(assuming the problem is corruption and not bad spots on the media). It's the same as getting the drive new out of it's box from the factory :D .

Oh in that case, then it wouldn't help my drive much then, cuz I think that it is actually PHYSICALLY damaged. :( I don't know cuz I don't know how to take the darn thing apart. Besides, it still runs...for now...sorta...kinda...sometimes...wheneer it feels like it.

I'll wait til it gets KIA'd or something. Or just taking an extended AWOL on me.