Sign in to follow this  
wirawan

Suggestion for reliable internal hard drive for a laptop

I am getting a new laptop (Lenovo T450s) and plan to upgrade the storage right away. I choose HDD because the cost is still much lower than SSD. Here's my criteria in descending order of importance:

1) reliability

2) capacity

3) performance

I am looking at 1TB range. I am going to stick with HGST or WD because of past not-so-good experiences with Seagate. No real failure, but the drives sounded scary.

On the reliability front, can anyone comment on HDD speed and temperature? I have been using 5400RPM drives on laptops because I have bad experience with a 7200RPM drive. I am afraid when operating that hot all the time, the drive would fail too soon. The 7200RPM WD Scorpio drive was mounted on Dell Inspiron 600m, the left palm side was unpleasantly hot; sorry, don't have temp reading (it feels well above 40 deg C). In contrast, my 5400RPM HGST drive was running at 37 deg C on a Lenovo T400.

Another question--I see the 5400RPM drives tend to have 8MB cache only, while the 7200RPM has 16 or 32MB. Why is this?

Wirawan

5400 RPM drives are typically considered a lower cost, lower performance options. One of the nice side benefits is many run cooler than their faster spinning counterparts. Considering what you've stated in your post, I have to ask if there's a specific reason you feel you need a 1 TB drive? Your *most* reliable option in storage is an SSD, plus they take less power, run cooler, etc... I recommend you take a close look at how much capacity you really need from your laptop's storage and then look at SSD options from Intel or Samsung that have the desired capacity. If you do, in fact, require a 1 TB internal drive for your laptop you can find a name brand SSD for $300-350.

If you do want a mechanical drive, I've had good results with WD's drives. Their 'BLUE' line is designed for laptops and that's probably what you're looking for.

Perhaps Brian or someone else can pop in with a more specific recommendation.

Edited by DustinT

For 1 and 3 on your list of concerns the SSD is exponentially better than the HDD. Cost is less of an issue, for $60 or less you can get a 120GB. How much capacity is really required?

Hi all,

Thanks for the answer. I do need > 500 GB capacity for sure. My current disk in the old laptop already almost fills up. I do have quite a bit of MP3 and quite a number of MP4 and raw video files which make it so big.

What brands of SSD do you recommend me look at first? Why do I not see SSD first? It is because of the cost. It is so much more expensive per GB for my pocket.

Wirawan

Edited by wirawan

Hi all,

Thanks for the answer. I do need > 500 GB capacity for sure. My current disk in the old laptop already almost fills up. I do have quite a bit of MP3 and quite a number of MP4 and raw video files which make it so big.

What brands of SSD do you recommend me look at first? Why do I not see SSD first? It is because of the cost. It is so much more expensive per GB for my pocket.

Wirawan

Why not get a 250GB SSD drive and install it in the new laptop and use the hard drive in the new laptop as an external storage device.

And your old laptop hard drive as a back up drive, load it with copies of your music and video files and date and leave in a drawer.