Adam_a

Samsung EVO Plus MicroSD Memory Card Review

The Evo Plus is a more value oriented card compared to the Pro Plus line; however, it is still specced to offer read and write speeds of 80MB/s and 20MB/s respectively, which is a significant boost in performance over its predecessor. The Evo Plus line is also extremely durable for such a tiny device. Coupled with ability to withstand up to 24 hours in seawater, Samsung indicates that the cards are water, temperature, magnetic and x-ray proof. They are also built to survive in temperatures from -25° all the way up to 85° Celsius and can protect user data from potential damage caused by airport X-ray machines. In addition, they can resist up to 13 times the magnetic force of home theater speakers.

Samsung EVO Plus MicroSD Memory Card Review

It's something that is on the drawing board. With these things though we have been opting for speed to review posting than a lot else. All of our charts are hand made so it's a trade off.

• Like 1

"Here, sequential transfer rates were recorded with reads and writes of 84.9MB/s and 19.7MB/s respectively, the latter which is nearly double the speed of its predecessor, which posted 44.4MB/s read and 19.1MB/s write"

I think you mean former, not latter.

Also, it doesn't take long to make a chart, and it is much more readable than a bunch of figures. Here, you can have this for free, took me 2 mins in Google Sheets:

u2wK1qe.png

Edited by poppy10

Hey guys, I wonder if any of you can give me insight of what's going on with my new Samsung EVO (not the EVO+) 128GB. I already had a month old Samsung EVO 64GB and was very satisfied with its performance. However, it seems that writing to the EVO 128GB is much slower, so I did some tests comparing them both.

Write results of my EVO 128GB seems to be very dissapointing at 4-9MB/s for small data blocks of 16MB-4GB. Is my EVO 128 is a dud? Capacity and read speed is fine otherwise.

Attached the test results. I did more than 10 tests for the EVO 128GB and had inconsistent write speed results, but 6 out of them are at 8-9 MB/s.

d4kIag6.jpg

Also, it doesn't take long to make a chart, and it is much more readable than a bunch of figures. Here, you can have this for free, took me 2 mins in Google Sheets:

u2wK1qe.png

I suppose for readability you can sort them out from left to right? Talk about quality of 2 minutes of work!

The card is probably not a dud per se. Writes are tough, especially random writes with inconsistent block sizes. The other thing at play is with the value-oriented cards like this, there's no telling what flash goes inside. Usually it will be the designated part number, but should there be a shortage or an overrun on another type of flash, the vendor will trade out from time to time. So it could just be that your first card has better flash. It's very difficult to tell though in this product class.

The card is probably not a dud per se.

So you're saying that the performance behaviour is completely different with EVO 64GB? Actually, the write speed problem wasn't what was driving me to test that card, well, other than noticing that the EVO 128GB is slower when copying over my files. I'm very sure the card is original, and I have tested its capacity.

I had a audio player device that was constantly having buffer underrun while reading this EVO 128GB. I thought it was caused by CRC failure causing rereads, but the test shows very good read speed. No such issue with another audio player I had, as well.

Is there any test that plots the curve of read speed by time? I am now thinking that the EVO 128GB might be much slower than 64GB during first few milliseconds, at certain times, causing the issue with the device.

I've already refunded the EVO 128GB as the device is what I meant to use the card with, but would be interested to know if the EVO+ 128GB could solve my problem.

EDIT: Just reread your response about flash in the card. Right, so I guess there could be something like "grades" out of these cards! Impossible to tell without trying, then..

Edited by watchmania

Right. I'm just saying your smaller EVO may have had better flash leading to the wider discrepancy.

Right. I'm just saying your smaller EVO may have had better flash leading to the wider discrepancy.

I've been having a horrible time with the quality of flash in >=32GB SD cards, with worse performance the bigger you go and a 80% failure rate of cards completely dying.

I've been having a horrible time with the quality of flash in >=32GB SD cards, with worse performance the bigger you go and a 80% failure rate of cards completely dying.

You must be talking about SanDisk >=64GBs? I can say that my Samsung EVO 64GB is a very reliable and speedy ones. It's just this EVO 128GB that makes me question their integrity as the behavior seems to be a completely different product.

Edited by watchmania

You must be talking about SanDisk >=64GBs? I can say that my Samsung EVO 64GB is a very reliable and speedy ones. It's just this EVO 128GB that makes me question their integrity as the behavior seems to be a completely different product.

Not only. So far I've had SanDisk, Kingston, Lexar, and Samsung >=32GB SD/MicroSD cards fail. My current Sony 64GB is the only one still alive thus far.

I've seen big performance drops between 32GB and 64GB cards from other manufacturers too so I'm just not too surprised if Samsung's drop going to 128 as well. Smaller, higher-density flash and TLC flash in particular always tends to be slower.

• Like 1

Not only. So far I've had SanDisk, Kingston, Lexar, and Samsung >=32GB SD/MicroSD cards fail. My current Sony 64GB is the only one still alive thus far.

Wow Samsung >=32GB fails, too? Can you identify exactly what you're doing when the card fails? My Sandisk 64GB were failing back in 2011 or 2012 while copying files over to it. If there seems to be some pattern, then maybe some precaution while writing to it could help. At that point I was switching to iPhone so I didn't cared much about microSDs, up until getting hooked on IEMs and DAPs.

Thanks for pointing out Sony. Too bad they don't have 128GB MicroSD yet.

Yeah this is interesting, it seems that they are forced to go with bleeding edge technology due to microsd physical dimensions constraints. Apple is right, again?

Is it worth paying the premium then for the Pro Plus MicroSD?

Edit:
I don't think most SD cards are used for things so write-intensive that the MLC would be a huge plus.

Edited by CrazyElf

Wow Samsung >=32GB fails, too? Can you identify exactly what you're doing when the card fails? My Sandisk 64GB were failing back in 2011 or 2012 while copying files over to it. If there seems to be some pattern, then maybe some precaution while writing to it could help. At that point I was switching to iPhone so I didn't cared much about microSDs, up until getting hooked on IEMs and DAPs.

Not really. They usually fail over time or when I'm doing nothing in particular so it's hard to pinpoint an exact cause.

Thanks for pointing out Sony. Too bad they don't have 128GB MicroSD yet.

Yeah, I wouldn't have even considered them myself but I was on the way to the airport and needed a card there and then, and that's the best I could find on the high street. Turns out to not be all that bad.

Yeah this is interesting, it seems that they are forced to go with bleeding edge technology due to microsd physical dimensions constraints. Apple is right, again?

When you consider the "high speed" full size SD(xc) cards with the same capacity have chips that are ten times larger physically, as do most mobile phones' internal memory, and SSDs, it's hard to even picture what compromises must have been made to shrink stuff to fit the microSD form factor. If they filled a 2.5" SSD with 128GB microSDXC cards they'd easily have like 10TB SSDs already.

Is it worth paying the premium then for the Pro Plus MicroSD?

For general purposes, maybe not.

But for Evo 128GB, I've seen a single rant of 1080P video not playing smoothly with stutter in Note 4 in Amazon, but no idea on the format he's using. Also, nobody else seems to complain the same elsewhere.

As for the writing speed, if you're concerned then I guess you will be looking at HD video recording with camcorder or cameras. Who knows you'll have a camera with not-large-enough-buffer-size to handle the irregularities of the write speed?

Anyway, my original complain wasn't actually about the write speed, but consistent yet random buffer underruns for 1-2 seconds every 5-10 minutes when playing FLAC or WAV files on one of my DAP device. Thinking that it might be caused by rereads due to CRC errors, I fired the tests. What was apparent then is the poor write speed, which I actually noticed previously while copying files over to it, comparing to my Evo 64GB.

It's not an expensive DAP, but with DAP you can't just replace with another DAP as obviously you will have different sound. And this DAP seems to have everything implemented by hardware, so increasing the buffer size through software isn't even an option.

However, I'm thinking of some other possible causes right now. What if the DAP doesn't actually provide enough or unstable current that the microsd card demands, causing reading stall at times? For that maybe I can identify a spot to solder in some capacitor..

Maybe it's not the card's fault after all. I hope my posts didn't discouraged anyone thinking of getting the EVO 128GB :ph34r:

I'm leaning towards getting the Pro right now. I mostly use it to play FLAC music. On the note other hand, a case could be made that FLAC probably doesn't need it.

But right now I have to wait and see because it's possible that the Note 5, which I'd like to upgrade to might not even have a MicroSD. :(

The Galaxy S6 did not and the Note 5 will be based on that. I hate the direction they're going though, with the glass back, non-removable SD, and non-user replaceable battery. Worse, they also took out the waterproofing. I mean the phone is better elsewhere (display, SOC, and internal storage), but it's not a good direction to be going. I just hope the Note 5 will have what I am looking for. There might be reason for hope because the Note line is designed for configurable (I for example have the large ZeroLemon battery on my current Note).

Dang! There's one thing that I should eliminate first. At first I thought I was running FAT32 4K cluster size on both the EVO 64GB and 128GB. However, the EVO 64GB is actually formatted with 32K cluster size, while the EVO 128GB was formatted with 4K cluster size.

While I don't think it would magically boost the write speed on the EVO 128GB, I definitely think it could cause big difference to the DAP.

So I just reordered another Evo 128GB to redo the tests :rolleyes:

Edited by watchmania

While I don't think it would magically boost the write speed on the EVO 128GB, I definitely think it could cause big difference to the DAP.

Nope, no luck. Tried 64KB and 32KB, still exactly the same problem as 4KB cluster size. This must be a undercurrent issue.