swinster

Looking for a low cost hardware SATA RAID card to support VMware ESXi

Hi all,

I'm having a few issues with my Tyan S5510's onboard SATA controller, the motherboard forms the base a small homebrew Free ESXi server. I have a very simple setup whereby I have 3 drives (SATA) connected to the onboard controller, each of which is formatted as a separate VMFSS volume (no RAID, as the software RAID on the onboard controller is not supported in ESXi). However, every so often I lose one of the data stores and it looks (as if the controller stops functioning), and thus the VM running on them. It appears that when I run multiple HDDs, the controller gives up after a while.Rebooting the system restores the drive recognition. I have replaced the drive previously, but the issue remains.

I can't quite afford to replace the motherboard, CPU and Memory just yet (which, apart form the SATA controller, seem OK), and so am looking to see if I can get an affordable (low cost) Hardware based RAID card to run these the disk as a single RAID 5 volume that will be recognised by ESXi.

Thoughts welcome.

Chris

I'd look for an LSI 9260 or similar card off eBay or the like. Tried and true and old enough to be pretty cost effective.

• Like 1

Just one other quick question, if I may?

I have never needed to take the data on an array built under one manufactures controller and transfer it to another array on a a different manufacturers controller, but I suspect that the drives in the array itself can't simply we switched to the other controller, can they? So, if I have an array that houses data, I would need to back this up to a different device, disband the array, re-attach the drives to the new controller, re-initialises and transfer the data back?

Many thanks.

Unless its going between same brand cards (even that is tricky), always factor in backing up the data and moving it between different drive sets.

• Like 1