milindsaraswala

Hitachi HDD is making click sound

I am very new to this forum and this is my first post, so please accept my apology if I make any mistake or break any forum rules.

My laptop fall down, due to that my hard drive stop working and start making clicking sound. I sent my laptop for hard drive replacement and I got back my old HDD back. I attach it with 2.5" HDD external case. Now when I attach to my another laptop, it shows me my partition but cannot open and it make click sound. HDD become very hot.

Now my question is that can we repair that HDD as I need my 4 yrs data from my second partition. Kindly suggest me what can I do. Thank you.

I assume the laptop was on when you dropped it?

You're probably in quite a bit of trouble as it sounds mechanical in nature. I hate to say it but without a backup, you're living on the edge anyway. I can't understand why people continue to store a single copy of anything of value.

Drive recovery service is your best bet and that will not be inexpensive.

Hi there @milindsaraswala!

Since the drive is getting hot when you connect it to a system, and you cannot access the data stored on it I would suggest to contact a data recovery company and see if your information can be retrieved from the HDD. Furthermore, I recommend you not to plug and try to extract your information because the more you use the drive and try to repair it, the worse the damage and the extraction of files may become.

Hope this helps and best of luck!