Sign in to follow this  
Vikings1985

Mini-UPS NAS Worth a Look?

I've had my unit connected to an external UPS for some years now because I live in an area with frequent hurricanes. Looks like Thecus released a NAS with a mini-UPS inside.

I haven't found a lot of information about the capabilities of the battery but it does look interesting. Do you think a built-in battery will be as sustainable as the external ones? Im planning to update a NAS so and considering this.

Thanks.

You mean the N4200, N4200PRO, N4800, or N5810PRO and their battery backup module? (maybe another model or two I'm missing as well)

I'm not sure how much I'd care-- a separate external UPS will probably give you much better runtime and potentially be cheaper to maintain (lead-acid batteries are commodity items)

Of the four I mentioned, three are pretty damned old, the only one on a modern CPU is the N5810PRO (which is on a Celeorn J1900)-- I would want a modern NAS first and worry about the battery backup waaay down the list.

Thank you for the reply.

Right, I forgot to mention the model I saw, it was the N5810PRO you mentioned. The rest of the specs look decent with the Celeron CPU, 4 GB RAM, and 5 LAN Ports (Not sure I will need all of these but interesting). I didnt see the older models but something modern is absolutely a most. I haven't come across a review yet, maybe I will and see what the judges have to say first.

Egad.

Please do not buy such a thing, especially Thecus. Their quality and feature set is nowhere near what others are doing...Synology, QNAP, WD, Seagate...

Buy two good parts that excel at what they do and leave that combo contraption to someone else ;)