NotEvenOld

What's going on with Toshiba's HDDs ?

Hello there,

Lately I've found myself being interested in Toshiba's MD series hard drives, especially the 5 TB drives since they boast the best per terabyte value, for €36.998 VAT/TB (at least here in France).

Willing to check my assumptions, I've been browsing the web for reviews but hardly found anyone reviewing those drives. Then I read a handful of consumers complaining about the drives being noisy (for both desktop use or NAS array) whereas some others were praising their quietness.
While noise level is a non-factor for me (proper noise reduction will always do the trick) I guess this could have leaned/leant people toward other brands.
But there is something I can't figure out : on many french hardware retailers the drives are out of stock!

So what's going on? Are the drives selling like they should? Is the whole line fake marketing from Toshiba (http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/37431-is-wd-4tb-black-still-the-best-hdd-right-now-wd4003fzex/)? Is there any malfunctions? Is Toshiba shipping back the drives (I guess not, but maybe a revision is planned)?

Or maybe the drives are not being advertised/reviewed properly and therefore people tends to play it safe and does not buy the disks, resulting in absolutely 0 feedback on the MD series thus creating a never ending cycle of misconception on the real value of those hard drives.

Anyway, I'm asking you guys : what's going on?

Thank you for reading.

P.S.

The drives are the Toshiba MD Series PX3010E-1HQ0 (5 TB)

This .pdf even mentions a 6 TB drive, the PX3013E-1HR0, which seems yet to be released (google only displaying 8 results, all Toshiba's links)

Edited by NotEvenOld

A few seem to be available across Europe: link. That's a surprisingly small amount of shops, but on the other hand the drive has only been listed since 2 months by now. BTW: the cheap "Intenso" branded drives with 4 and 5 TB @ 7.2k rpm are also Toshiba. they won't tell you so, but noone else builds affordable 7.2k rpm drives with more than 3 TB.

Edit: with 5 platters at 7.2k rpm it would be hard for the drives not to be relatively loud. If this matters depends entirely on the drive's surrounding and the users preferences.

MrS

Edited by [ETA]MrSpadge

Two months indeed, here two of the french retailers I mentioned : LDLC & Materiel.net and as you can see they're both running out of stock. Same on Amazon.fr where only two results are displayed with a few units left.

I guess it's just too soon.

Edited by NotEvenOld