Sign in to follow this  
thelordoftheidiots

SMART arrtibutes are increasing

It's a 1TB Seagate Expansion Portable external drive.

Take a look at the SMART page (using HDSentinel Pro):

No. Attribute Thre.. Value Worst Data Status Flags
1 Raw Read Error Rate 51 100 100 0 OK Self Preserving, Error-Rate, Performance, Statistica..
2 Throughput Performance 0 55 55 12032 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Performance, Statistical
3 Spin Up Time 25 90 90 3179 OK Self Preserving, Statistical, Critical
4 Start/Stop Count 0 100 100 370 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
5 Reallocated Sectors Co.. 10 252 252 0 OK Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical, Critical
7 Seek Error Rate 51 252 252 0 OK Self Preserving, Error-Rate, Performance, Statistical
8 Seek Time Performance 15 252 252 0 OK Self Preserving, Performance
9 Power On Time Count 0 100 100 923 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
10 Spin Retry Count 51 252 252 0 OK Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
11 Drive Calibration Retr.. 0 100 100 2 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
12 Drive Power Cycle Count 0 100 100 187 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
191 G-Sense Error Rate 0 252 252 0 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Statistical
192 Power off Retract Cycl.. 0 100 100 7 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Statistical
194 Disk Temperature 0 64 50 51; 18; 29 OK (Always passing) Statistical
195 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 100 100 0 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Error-Rate, Statistical
196 Reallocation Event Count 0 252 252 0 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
197 Current Pending Sector.. 0 252 252 0 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
198 Off-Line Uncorrectable.. 0 252 252 0 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count
199 Ultra ATA CRC Error Co.. 0 200 200 0 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Performance, Statistical
200 Write Error Rate 0 100 100 24 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Error-Rate, Statistical
223 Load/Unload Retry Count 0 100 100 2 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
225 Load/Unload Cycle Count 0 99 99 16069 OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical

11 drive calibration retry count: 2.

200 write error rate: 24.

223 load/unload retry count: 2.

These numbers are not static. They were all zero when i first got the drive. They're increasing as I'm using the drive.

I have tried USB2/ USB3 ports. My laptop has 4 USB ports, I have connected the drive to all of them, but that hasn't solved the problem.

Attributes 11 and 223 increase slowly, but 223 occurs whenever I copy data or defragment the drive.

I have even purchased a new cable (made by Samsung), and the write errors are still on the rise.

The drive passes Short DST and Extended DST, and I'm not having any real-life problems with it.

Take a look at THIS link, this is what I get when i try the "verify online" option of HDSentinel Pro. It basically compares my SMART results to other SMART results of the same model it received. It looks like all these three parameter values are worse than mine for other folks comparing (take a look at the average value for these attributes).

Is this by design? Is this drive meant to produce these errors?

It's pretty new, I have 3 years warranty on the drive and it's been about 5 months. And it's not been used very hard. It's an external drive so it mostly stays unplugged from the laptop.

Should I return the drive to seagate? I'll get a "recertified" drive if i return this. How good are recertified drives?

What would you do if you were in my place?

Please suggest.

Thanks.

Your drive looks just fine, don't worry too much about what you are seeing. #223/225 for example are non critical as long as the number does not raise fast. Write error rate can result from power losses / data interruptions in some way (maybe drive not properly ejected every time?)

More interesting to look at are #5 and #7, these are more critical and may relate to defect sectors on the platter. However even if this number increases, the drives still has replacement sectors - this is a feature and will occur later in the HDDs life.

So overall as long as these numbers don't increase very fast on doing only little data you should be fine. But don't forget your backup - you never know :-)

Thanks MarcoJ,

you've mentioned that "power losses / data interruptions in some way (maybe drive not properly ejected every time?)" might cause the write errors.

I have never actually ejected the drive without clicking on "safely remove hardware" first. I have tried every USB port. I have tried a new cable as well. So I'm not sure what am I doing wrong here. I don't shake the drive while in use at all, as you can see above, G-sense error rate is zero..

1>Can these write errors cause data corruption? I have my software DVDs backed up and saved as iso images on it, could write errors have corrupted those images? Will I some day burn an image back to a DVD only to find out the DVD doesn't work?

2>If I go ahead and return the drive back to seagate, I will almost certainly get a "recertified" drive. What's your opinion about these recertified drives? Is it possible that the one i get would be worst than this one I have?

This drive is actually a backup of the internal laptop drive. If I have to backup the backup, then it's probably an overkill, it's time-consuming to backup twice.. This is just a personal computer, I don't have nuclear reseach papers or government secrets losing which will cause major trouble, I just have loads of MP3s and movies, and some personal home videos and pictures. Losing those personal files will be very sad, but having 3 copies of them, is it worth the trouble? Isn't it better to just get another HDD and make sure both the HDDs are in perfect shape, and at the first sight of any trouble (like the one I posted here) replace the HDD in question?

What would you do? Would you return it? Would you just keep using it this way? Would you purchase another drive and have 3 copies of all your files? I'm confused..

PS: I just copied 2.96GB of data onto the drive now, and write error rate has increased by one more point.

Current stats:

11 drive calibration retry count: 2.

200 write error rate: 25.

223 load/unload retry count: 2.

Edited by thelordoftheidiots

I would keep the drive, as has already been said nothing on there shows failure at the moment-- in fact the drive looks perfectly healthy.

Please don't read too much into raw data values-- you don't necessarily know what they mean! (it is good to keep track, but in this case, I'd say you're readying way too much into it.)

And if anything is truly critical, you need at least two copies of it. Sounds like you may want three. ;)

Recertified drives direct from manufacturer are just fine, they go through similar QC as new drives.