Adam_a

HGST Ultrastar Helium He8 8TB Enterprise Hard Drive Review

As we stated previously, the drive is sealed and filled with helium to reduce friction. With fewer disturbances inside the drive, more platters can fit and less power is required. According to HGST, when comparing the He8 to a 6TB air drive you’ll see 23% lower idle power and 44% better Watts/TB. Not only that, the newest helium drives bump the capacity up to 8TB (33% more than 6TB drives) and it has more use cases than Shingled Magnetic Recording drives. The main area of focus for He8 sales would be enterprise and datacenters where density and capacity are paramount and weighed against TCO

HGST Ultrastar Helium He8 8TB Enterprise Hard Drive Review

The article didn't mention it but this drive has media cache, which accounts for the higher iops/lower latencies during the 4k writes. Something that the He6 nor any Seagate enterprise capacity drive has at the moment.

It's not the fastest drive, and there is a pretty big price premium for something like this.

Performance wise, I'd say the Seagate Enterprise Capacity v.4 6TB remains on top, although the Toshiba MG04SCA 4K 5TB did win many of the synthetics.

The big downside is that you do pay a big price premium for the extra 2TB. 4 and 6 TB seem to be where the best price:capacity are right now and judging by the Seagate HDD, the best performance too.

I am still hesitant about the long term reliability of helium drives (I suppose a helium leak is my big worry).

I have an issue with this drive.

The drive kind of ticks every 5 seconds when idle. No operations are being performed in Windows 8.1 Pro while this is happening and there is no monitoring software running of any kind.
Running extended SMART test with Windows Drive Fitness software (version 1.0.0.2) does not detect anything. Test passes.
Does not seem to be SATA port issue, because the same SATA port was used with HGST 4TB model and worked fine.
The same ticking exist even when running drive in external enclosure.
Here is a link to sound sample recorded few centimeters away from HDD:
I had 6TB HE6 version and it had the same issue.
HGST support says that it is an idle maintenance "feature". Seams weird.
This "feature" ruins silent idle spin of a drive and makes it worse than louder spinning one.
Has anyone noticed this while using theirs or while testing?

Hmm, haven't noticed... we have a couple of dozen of them in-house for testing. But then they're also in rackmount chassis where fan noise drowns everything out.

What markings (firmware, manufacturing date, exact model #, etc.) are on your disks in question?

HGST support says that it is an idle maintenance "feature". S

Wouldn't surprise me if true, I've seen this a few times on drives from multiple different makers. (I think, memory is fuzzy...)

Hmm, haven't noticed... we have a couple of dozen of them in-house for testing. But then they're also in rackmount chassis where fan noise drowns everything out.

What markings (firmware, manufacturing date, exact model #, etc.) are on your disks in question?

Wouldn't surprise me if true, I've seen this a few times on drives from multiple different makers. (I think, memory is fuzzy...)

Model - HUH728080ALE604.
Serial number - 2EG5VXVP.
Firmware - A4GNW514.
Manufacturing date - 2015 February

Do you have the model I listed? Maybe you were able to hear ticking?

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I have just got a few of these drives and have the same "ticking"

Also they can be at times *very* noisey but everywhere says they are very quiet? (sort of grinding noise, not constant just occasionally) all SMART shows up fine and so does the extended disk checks

date on mine is MAR-2015

same model excpet for E600 on the end

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I have just got a few of these drives and have the same "ticking"

Also they can be at times *very* noisey but everywhere says they are very quiet? (sort of grinding noise, not constant just occasionally) all SMART shows up fine and so does the extended disk checks

date on mine is MAR-2015

same model excpet for E600 on the end

HGST support said that it was an idle maintenance feature.

Actually it does not stop even if you run HDD benchmarks. It ticks constantly.

Those other occasional noises do not give much confidence either. I am reluctant to use it.

Premium paperweight.

Hello,

Do you have an idea to perform the new comparison using updated 8 TB drives from Seagate?

I believe many would be interested seeing the test among the following:

• HGST Ultrastar He10 8TB
  • HGST Ultrastar He8 8TB
  • Seagate 8TB Enterprise Capacity HDD v5
  • Seagate 8TB Enterprise NAS HDD v5