pico1180

SSD Caching Software. Any suggestions?

Hello,

I have searched the internet for this. By and far, the most popular answer I seem to see is, buy a Seagate Hybrid. I do find that to be an amicable solution in some cases. However, it is not what I am looking for in this case.

I am under the impressing a current gen VRaptor saddled with a 64GB SSD cache would outperform a Seagate Hybrid drive. Benchmarks to the contrary would sway my opinion, but I am currently under the belief the above mentioned setup would be faster then a Hybrid.

With that being said, other than Intel’s caching (I think they call it Smart Response), are there any solutions out there?

I would like to run a dedicated SSD boot drive, a large capacity SSD storage drive, then a larger capacity mechanical drive with an SSD cache.

My current setup is C: = SSD, D: = 3x512 SSDs <- currently out of room.

I would like to go to a setup that looks like this:

C: = SSD, D: = 2x512 SSD. E: = 1TB w/ SSD cache.

Advice on caching software, or evidence that would support, caching isn’t any better than Seagate’s Hybrid drives is where I would like to focus.

Thank you.

In your model you're taking out an SSD and adding a HDD? I'm a little confused by your tiering strategy. Generally speaking though if you want a high capacity without the SSD cost, the Seagate hybrid is a fine option. I would be interested in learning more about your data access patterns though to get a better idea on the needs.

I have used the Seagate Hybrids to great effect in the past. I just think I want something a little more robust for this situation. Specifically, faster platters. But that is a good point. If the Seagate Hybrids are just as good as a VRaptor+64GB then that is that.

So, I have maxed out a 3x512 RAID 0 SSD area. There are arguable many things on that raid that don’t need to be on an SSD. There is about 100 gigs right off the top I can take off, and if I sacrificed I could probably free up a bunch more. But I don’t think I could go down past 1TB of pure SSD goodness. The array has 98% applications/programs/games installed on it.

I would like to move less used applications/programs/games off the SSD area to a fast mechanical alternative.

If I could move enough off it, and I'm not saying I can, but if I could, I would like to down-size it to 2x512. It may be that I won’t be able to move THAT much data off the 3x512 to be able to remove an entire 512GB disk from the array. That is a possibility.

Ideally if money was no option I would run 2x1TB SSD's and that would be that. But I can’t bring myself to put down that kind of money.

Alternatively, I could add another 512. That is a completely valid option. But I’m already nervous about 3x512s.

The more I think about this the more I think the Hybrid Seagate is my answer. I just wanted something more robust then that.

I'm not sure a hybrid drive would be your best bet for the less used applications. They will most likely be accessed so little that the drive will never peg the LBAs being accessed to flash.

I think, and many have found this best, to just use a standard HDD for low priority apps and storage and an SSD for the OS. You've gone beyond and set up another SSD pool for important storage, which is cool. Leaving aside the RAID0 concerns, adding in another 500GB-class SSD just gives you more to manage. If you're not going to drop the $300-400 on a 1TB SSD, more flash doesn't sound like your solution. I think I'd go with a higher-capacity HDD and just migrate the low priority stuff there.

So, I think I have made my decision.

I will add a 500-1TB platter drive until 1TB SSD's come down. I expect to move too a 2x1TB setup around this time next year.

I have my eyes on a 1TB WD Black WD100SFZEX and a VRaptor WD5000HHTZ. Both are the same price.

Capacity is not a concern. All I need is 500GB. The most intense task it will do is gamming.

Witch should I get?

I'd probably stay with the Black, cooler and quieter and more likely to find support if issues occur.

If you've got a mainboard which allows Intel SRT you may still be able to set this up for your new HDD. You should need a spare 60 GB on some SSD, have the mainboard SATA ports switched to RAID (you already do) and then assign this space as cache. I haven't actually tried such SSD partitioning, but if you're buying the parts anyway you might as well try it. If you have a backup of your stuff, of course.

MrS