JJ Johnson

Can you benchmark an SSD with data on it?

I received a new SSD last week and in my enthusiasm to set up a new computer, immediately began installing Windows and my applications, and configuring and customizing everything - the whole nine yards. Now, just out of curiosity, I was wondering if I can benchmark the SSD. Is this still possible? Is it wise? Would it be an accurate benchmark?

I suppose I could always image the drive to another disk, run my tests, and then re-image the SSD, but I'm far too lazy to take such an approach.

Edited by JJ Johnson

You can do some benchmarks in place, but they will generally be slower than testing a drive in a raw condition. What type of SSD and are you worried about it being slower than expected?

I've been eyeballing a cheap ssd for a plex server. /var gets filled will millions of meta data for huge collections.

I'm 10,000 albums and over 8000 movies. Maybe I'll need something bigger the 60?

They don't even really make 60GB SSDs any longer because the cost profile and demand has shifted so much over the last year or so. You should be able to find a 120GB drive for $50 or less from a decent brand.

I think the reason they make so few is that the margins must get very slim under $50 once you've factored in the cost of the controller, case, connectors and manufacturing. Soon it will be difficult to find new 120GB SSDs. We're already seeing new drives introduced where the smallest model is 250GB.

That article is pretty out of date.