Brian

Intel SSD 750 Review Discusison

The Intel SSD 750 brings NVMe to client systems in the first meaningful (available) way. The net result is an SSD that is exceedingly fast in both a common PCIe form factor as well as a 2.5" form factor in systems that support it. For the professional or enthusiast that can take advantage of these speeds and what appears to be pretty reasonable pricing, the SSD 750 is an excellent fit.

Intel SSD 750 Review

Bottom line is that it's fast. The NVMe era is upon us it would seem. Hopefully this is like the X-25 of NVMe drives and we'll start to see the prices get closer to parity with SATA 3 SSDs.

Speed wise: It's fast. IO latency is very good. The only thing that the SM951 remains on top on is the Heavy and Light traces. Basically, this thing is the fastest client based drive on the market right now. That CH29AE41AB0 controller is very impressive.

I just hope that my Z87 main board gets supported. Come on MSI.

We'll probably see a 3D NAND variant soon enough.

Hello,

A question comes.

What stack software-driver and its version- was used for testing?

Regards.

We used this driver:

Version: 1.1.0.1004 (Latest)
Date: 02/05/2015
Size: 1.97 MB
Language: English
Operating Systems: Windows Web Server 2008 R2*, Windows 7 (64-bit)*, Windows 8, 64-bit*, Windows 8.1, 64-bit*, Windows Server 2012 R2*, Windows Server 2012*

It looks like your testing has the maximum throughput at 1852.97MB/s. I'd be running this card in a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot and it looks like (from my Wikipedia calculations) that would limit me to ~1600MB/s, which isn't off by much. Just curious if anyone here knows whether the slower interface would affect the other numbers.

I have a Z77 chipset and don't really know if this would be bootable, or at least it hasn't been confirmed under Z97 yet. (I do have the latest UEFI for this board, I'll look into the version here shortly). This would require a full Windows install; so it's something I'll consider once Windows 10 comes out (and I decide whether it's time to start fresh anyway from Windows 7).

Thanks!

Hmm, the more I read about this new SSD drive...it doesn't have encryption and the TBW, although high, isn't what I expected if you plan to keep and use this for a long time. Maybe I'll wait a bit and see what else comes out over the next few months or maybe the enterprise offerings will come down somewhat.

This SSD is consistently outperformed by Intel's 335 Series. Unfortunately, it looks as though Intel is limiting the latter product in what looks like an eventual closing out, which may be because the 335 numbers are so close to the 520 series, nearly identical.

The only good thing I can see about this drive is at 7mm it will fit in a laptop, unfortunately the 730 series uses a lot of power, which leaves me scratching my head as to what Intel was thinking.

I purchased Intel's 330 series, it was underwhelming and disappointing. I replaced it with an Intel 335 series and was very satisfied with it's performance, now only to find it difficult to find a boxed version larger than 180GB [Amazon has it listed, however I view them only one step up from ebay - possibly even regarding computer drives].

Back to the Intel SSD 730. In my opinion, the only thing good about it is Newegg is offering the 240GB version for $120, today only [April 6, 2015], according to it's sales info. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-167-190 I believe is the correct address.

I am very grateful to storagereview providing their data, as it is very interesting and will keep me away from this series, until Intel fixes several issues with speed and power.

NOTE: I apologize, I was thinking of the Intel 730, an entirely different drive.

Edited by Swingman

Although the latency was only half as fast, the 750 showed improvement in the TPS benchmark with 6,311.93 TPS vs. 6,303.72 TPS by the P3700.

This sounds weird. The at 10 ms compared to 15 ms the latency reduced to 2/3, or 50% better - which ever way you want to look at it. But there's no factor of 2. And calling it "only half as fast" implies that high values would be better, whereas it's actually the opposite.

And considering the significant latency difference between these drives the TPS benchmark scores seem about the same: 6312 vs. 6304 is a difference of just ~0.1%! What's the standard deviation between a few runs of this test? I'd be surprised if it's anything less than 1%.

BTW: even with a hypothetical standard deviation of 0.1% it would make sense to only report 4 significant digits. I'm pretty sure your 5th and 6th digit are meaningless at best, and simply make the important numbers harder to read.

Apart from that: thanks for testing and the article!

MrS

The SQL Server load is virtual user constrained. 6322 or so is where it basically reaches saturation for that particular load. Latency for that test is all that really matters when the cards get into the same ranking.

Off topic, but should the leaderboard be updated? This is clearly faster than the RevoDrive 350 by OCZ, although you will need a compatible motherboard to boot off of it.

On that note, is Linux bootable from these PCI-E SSDs?

Brian, If you can remember to do so, would you kindly be on the lookout

for compatible x4 or x8 PCIe RAID controllers? My bias grew out of

prior experience with SATA-III HDDs and the Highpoint RocketRAID 2340

(see cabling topology below).

Over at pcper.com Allyn and Ryan complained about the lack

of a 800GB model: why not do RAID-0 with 2 @ 400GB?

Possible answer: not enough PCIe add-on controllers (presently).

Here's the cabling topology that should work very well with

multiple 2.5" Intel 750s, upgraded with the SFF-8639 cables:

4-port.fan-out.cabling.topology.JPG