ChromeBeauty

Newbee searches his first SSD

Hi

having decided to try my system with an SSD I in dire need for some recommendations as I didn't bother much to take a look at SSDs at all in the past years.

I aim for at least 200GB and read/writes rates of above 200, also the durability should be high as my HD made over 13000 hours in 2.5 year although I have no clue how much read/write there was on the system and game partitions but I think the data partitions had more to do.

Not sure if the current mainboard plays a role but I still use an Asrock Extreme4 Z77 from 2012, connectors are:

- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Intel ® Z77, support RAID
(RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel Rapid Storage and
Intel Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and Hot
Plug functions

- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by ASMedia ASM1061,
support NCQ, AHCI and “Hot Plug” functions (SATA3_A1
connector is shared with eSATA3 port)

- 4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0,
RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel Rapid Storage and Intel
Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
functions

So what do I have to look out for?

For 240~256GB and up, pretty much anything modern is fine. Durability-- check the SSD "how many terabytes written to your SSD" thread here on Storagereview, or take a gander at Techreport's durability testing using the tools that the XtremeSystems.org forum guys were all using...

Long story short: don't worry about SSD durability.

As far as what to recommend specifically, depends on your budget and what's available in your areas. If you really need just a generic recommendation, hard to say no to an Sandisk Ultra II on the more affordable end, or a Samsung 850 EVO or Sandisk Extreme Pro on the more mid-range or more-higher-end... on the high-end for consumer SSD's the Samsung 850 Pro is superb, but having used the 850 Pro back to back with lots of cheaper, slower SSDs for daily use, I'd say save your money, I can't tell the difference...

I'm operating from Germany.

I don't have a limit on budget, I just want to make sure it's simply worth the money I pay and that the drive really has all the useful features that can be good for an SSD.

I'm rather interested if I should look for some requirements, for example:

NAND type(MLC, TLC, V-NAND MLC, V-NAND TLC, cMLC, eMLC, HET MLC, SLC)

NAND mode(Toggle, asynchron, synchron

NAND assembly(16nm, 19nm, 20nm, 21nm, 24nm, 25nm, 27nm, 32nm, 34nm, 40nm)

or other special features like capacitors.

You can take a look at that portal here:

http://geizhals.de/?cat=hdssd

A lot features can be chosen there to narrow it down to a selection that can be used to choose a drive from.

Edited by ChromeBeauty

A lot of the details don'tmatter-- the specific SSD model/capacity matters more. Lots of SSD's share the same controller, same NAND, and yet perform differently due to firmware tuning.

Modern NAND is all on smaller processes (16nm, 19nm, 20nm, etc.)-- seeing 32nm and larger NAND is rare (except on some new 3D NAND, aka "V-NAND" chips.

If possible, hop over to Storagereview's leaderboard and start from there for specific models, no need to dig through many specifics that don't matter. Or stick with the much smaller list I mentioned above, and shop on price.

We do try to keep the leaderboard updated with regularity for just this purpose. We already eliminate most of the chaff for you that way ;)

Is there any point on the Samsung 850 that I have to worry about?

I just ask as I also heard voices that recommend to rather stay away from Samsung, I'm not sure if the Firmware trouble was menat or anything else.