stenrulz

NVMe Hardware?

Hello all,

I am currently looking at a new Windows high performance storage build. This will be replacing my current LSI 9311-8i build. One of the main issues with the LSI SAS3008 was the latency. I am interested in NVMe and NVRAM. What hardware would you recommend for low QD applications, low latency, 5GB/s+, 200GB+, no redundancy required, boot support, under $5K?

Thank you.

Maybe two Intel P3700s in an edge-card or HHHL form factor? Depends on the motherboard but they can boot in some systems. I'm curious what latency issues you were seeing with the LSI cards, as we've never encountered such problems.

Sadly 2x P3700s will not do the trick, as I am looking at boot support for some tests. The latency only occurred when using the IR firmware (raid 0) vs the IT firmware (direct). If I could just run the setup from DDR4 memory I would.

The P3700's are boot compatible... in fact in our Dell review, Dell equipped one in it for that purpose.

The 9300-8i series can do RAID but it really isn't optimal for it... latency will suffer vs direct access. If you want RAID with traditional SAS, use the 9361-8i, performs fantastically.

Apologies for my delay.

The P3700's are boot compatible... in fact in our Dell review, Dell equipped one in it for that purpose.

Yes, they are boot compatible but if you have multiple install only one is used for boot. E.g no raid 0,etc. Also, at 1QD we are only talking just above 1GB/s. Currently I can get more than 2GB/s at 1QD.

The 9300-8i series can do RAID but it really isn't optimal for it... latency will suffer vs direct access. If you want RAID with traditional SAS, use the 9361-8i, performs fantastically.

Looking at a few reviews the 9361-8i latency is not much difference for raid 0, large difference for raid 10.

You are kind of asking for something that doesnt exist at this point then. Single devices do exist that can get 4-5GB/s read, but most aren't bootable (highend PCIe flash) because they are designed in mind that the boot portion is the cheap storage and the application sits on the fast stuff. The other issue here is cost, where sub 5K is DIY storage with a RAID card or HBA and consumer/light enterprise SSDs or something like the Intel NVMe gear. As soon as you move outside that group options don't exist... especially ones that are bootable.

Why does this card need to be bootable?

It’s an option but i do care about boot drive performance. Looking at the review I can only see HGST SSDs tested no comparison with consumer grade. Also, no test results around 1QD, only 16 QD.

Sadly the only 9361-8i review with consumer grade SSDs is using CrystalDiskMark. (that I have found so far)

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Qualification-LSI-9341-8i-9361-8i-RAID-Controllers-545/

I've got LSI 9270-8i, LSI 9361-8i, Adaptec 81605ZQ's, etc. here, but I don't have time to pull any of them from production duties for more than a few minutes. Worse I don't have spare arrays of SSDs sitting around, which sounds like it might make testing even more problematic. :-/ Did you need something specific?

If you're waiting for NVMe it sounds like the SM951 and SSD 750 might be as close as it gets for now. :-/