Sign in to follow this  
Kevin OBrien

Seagate Backup Plus External Hard Drive Review (8TB) Discussion

The Seagate Backup Plus 8TB offers users with a seamless way to backup large amounts of data due to its huge capacity point. Couple this with its useful social media and smart phone functionality, and you have a highly recommended storage solution.

Seagate Backup Plus External Hard Drive Review (8TB)

They were making this product before the logo swap, I imagine they'll use up old inventory instead of tossing the enclosures.

I guess you didn't look closely enough at the sides of the enclosure because those "ventilation" holes don't go all the way through the side and are apparently just for aesthetics. See this review on Amazon. The cheap enclosure used definitely increases the internal temperature and reduces the life of an otherwise good hard drive.

Find a Windows XP box (or something that can run an XP-era partition/formatting utility) that might let you do FAT32 volumes that big?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314463

8TB harddisk (which probably are more like 7448GB) are damned close to what FAT32 limits are, and most newer OS'es (newer than XP) won't let you do a FAT32 partition bigger than 32GB as they prefer you use NTFS, exFAT, or HFS...

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1287

Might also be useful...?

http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=95671

Mentions something called h2format but I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks for the reply but trying to do this on Mac. I've tried on my gf' Surface Pro 2 with Windows 10 and my buddies laptops with Windows 7&8 but no program seems to work. I've read that you should be able to format up to a 16TB drive into FAT32. I already checked out that h2Format however can't get it running on any of the Windows OS' and it's all in German! lol :(

A bunch of posts in that forum say the PS3 cannot read past 2TB but that's not true since I use my 4TB WD external drive no problem. Using it in the PS3 isn't that crucial however the MyGica media player is more important. Tried exFAT but for some reason once I start copying files to it, it stops copying @ 45GB and then shuts down. Just surprised there is absolutely no info on why the 8TB drive cannot be reformatted in FAT32

I bought 2 of these.

I thought I would consolidate multiple videos across multiple Seagate drives I have now, then Time Machine the whole array into 2 drives.

First off, I have 3 seagate external drives (2 5TB and a 3 TB), 2 are used for storage and my TimeMachine drive, and they work flawlessly.

This 8 TB critter is something else though.

After 3 days I found the Seagate software for Mac was a mess.

In both drives I spent overnight consolidating 5 TB of my video collection onto a new drive, then I would check the drive, seemed slow in response, but working...

then I would reboot the system and the drive just disappeared off the Mac.

Switched cables. Switched power cords. Plugged them into different USB 3 ports. Even plugged the power into a separate electrical socket across the room.

Nothing recovered the drive.

And, there was rattling on both drives when executing.

I even contacted Seagate tech support and ran through their entire list of how to fix.

After 3 days of a wasted weekend, they went back into the box and back to Amazon.