Sign in to follow this  
CB4

Archive 8TB for 4 Bay NAS?

I was wondering if anyone can help, would it be suitable for my needs. Reading through and trying to interpret the review, especially when used in DS1815+.

I was thinking of buying it for a 4 bay synology nas, but using this drive solely for video files. Another drive would contain important files. The Seagate will contain medium/large video files ( each c.5Gb), that would be written once and then read by multiple devices around the house.

Am I right in thinking in this scenario, the Archive 8TB would be 'ideal' ? i.e. very cheap per Gb for single large files ?

I guess in this scenario setting up JBOD would be a bad idea, just set up the drives as individual volumes

Any advice appreciated.

I split this out from the review so the thread isn't cluttered.

As you saw in the review, we recommend against using these drives in RAID. However, if you're not concerned about data loss, then go for it. Just be sure that these video files are residing elsewhere, because it's highly likely that should one of the 8TB fail, you will not complete the RAID rebuild in time, especially if the NAS is under load.

If it were me, I'd cap out at 6TB or even 4TB drives today. Depends on your fault tolerance though.

Thanks for the advice.

I've got most of them backed up elsewhere, so I'm less worried on failures. I think I'll go for 8TB, now just to find a reputable UK stockist

Very well...finding low quantities may be the issue. They're sold in cases of 20 here...though it's not impossible to open one up and sell the drives in ones and twos.