Sign in to follow this  
CrazyElf

Enterprise vs consumer hard drives - are the enterprise HDDs more reli

Out of curiosity, are Enterprise Hard Drives more reliable than a consumer hard drive?

For the money you get, RAID support (possible on consumer drives though as well), TLER, better ability to handle power outages, and a few other areas. I have heard that enterprise drives are built with better magnets and actuators. Pseudo-enterprise drives like the WD Black and the Hitachi Deskstar probably have comparable reliability, although their firmware doesn't have the features.

In theory, would an enterprise drive be more reliable as they are built to handle higher workloads? The Backblaze data says no, but the size of their sample is not enough for me to say 100% that they are not.

Edit:

This is what I have been able to find on the matter:

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/enterprise_class_versus_desktop_class_hard_drives_.pdf

Edited by CrazyElf

Yes, the best components go into the enterprise drives and much of the rest of the gear flows downhill from there. Platters not good enough for enterprise go into consumer, though it's not always a straight line, depends on yield and what the lines are making in a given production cycle. Enterprise drives have better warranties generally and better specced MTBF and UBER. Whether that's worth paying up for in a typical consumer rig is debatable however as in low drive counts, anything can happen.

I'm thinking it probably goes something like

- High performance enterprise HDDs (WD RE, Seagate Enterprise Capacity, Hitachi Ultrastar)

- Lower end enterprise HDDs (WD Se)? Enterprise NAS HDDs?

- High performance consumer (Ex: Western Digital Black)

- Mainstream consumer (Ex: WD Blue, Seagate 7200.X)

- Value drives (Ex: the Green Drives, perhaps the NAS drives as well)

- External HDDs

Something like that in terms of reliability and quality.'

Naturally, top = more reliable and better MBTF.

Do they "bin" platters like they do with silicon? So top would go to say, high performance enterprise?

Edited by CrazyElf

Media and heads are all binned, AFAIK. It's not so much that highest performance goes to enterprise, but whichever product needs the densest capacity. That doesn't necessarily mean the highest reliability, though.

If two product lines use identical parts, then you can bin the higher quality items to enterprise, but often the different product lines are mechanically different so that's not feasible