Sign in to follow this  
Vampire

Is WD 4TB Black still the best HDD right now ? (WD4003FZEX)

Any updates on newer HDD products that are faster and more silent than WD Black that are coming in the future (2015) ?

Thank you

The WD Black series has never been "silent". It is a performance HDD that tends to be loud, vibrate quite a bit, and have somewhat higher power consumption than a typical hard drive. It's the "Green" drives that are quiet and sometimes the NAS ones too.

Performance wise, I believe it is on top for the consumer drives. I think though that overall, the Seagate Enterprise Capacity v4 is the fastest 7200 rpm HDD on the market. Brian - actually between the two, which do you think is faster overall, the newest variant of the WD Black or the Enterprise Capacity v4?

Only the 10k/15k versions are faster. I've been wondering about their utility. They must still have some advantages over SSDs still.

Edited by CrazyElf

Performance difference is largely academic, unless for some reason you're truly I/O bound in a situation where you can only mechanical disks...?

Even WD Velcoraptor's are slower than modern 7200rpm 1TB/platter (or greater) architecutre disks in many scenarios.

According to them the vibrations should be super low, acustics too on this newer generation. Any tests done for acustics ?

Maybe the Seagate 4TB SSHD is much faster than the WD 4TB Black.

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/desktop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/

And that Black is 30% more expensive than the Seagate.

How are the acustics / vibrations on both considering the seagate lacks the "marketing" of great vibration.

Performance and workstation PCs equipped with high-end components often emit vibrations and acoustics that can reduce the precision and performance of your hard drive. Even the best chassis on the market cannot always compensate against this. The new generation of WD Black hard drives feature Vibration Control Technology (VCT) which allows the disks inside the drive to adapt to any mounting problems or vibration conditions that are inside your case, resulting in increased data accuracy, performance and reliability over time. Put simply, this means you can game harder, faster and longer.

The desktop Seagate hybrid comes with 8 GB MLC not SLC like in laptop models. The questions is woudn't this tiny SSD die quite fast since frequent programs are written on it ?

How are the two drives if you take out the SSD part from the Seagate ?

Edited by Vampire

The hybrids for desktop use are good if the price is right. I wouldn't really worry about the cache wearing out. They don't move a ton of data around in the cache anyway.

I will say...there are updates in this category coming, though I can't be more specific.

The hybrids for desktop use are good if the price is right. I wouldn't really worry about the cache wearing out. They don't move a ton of data around in the cache anyway.

I will say...there are updates in this category coming, though I can't be more specific.

Very well, waiting for them. Love you !

What about acustics on the "new" WD black vs seagate acustics on normal HDD or SSHD ?

Any news on new HGST HDD or are they made by WD now ?

Does HGST still have new HDD products ?

Like this one : Ultrastar 7K6000 (non helium normal HDD)

http://www.hgst.com/hard-drives/enterprise-hard-drives/enterprise-sas-drives/ultrastar-7k6000

They are the most reliable according to this : http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/37440-hard-drive-reliability-update-sep-2014/

Edited by Vampire

I don't track noise profiles, though they all have them listed in the spec sheets.

HGST is separate from WD entirely.

Bottom line is that if you are concerned about noise, it may be best to not get the WD Blacks. Looks like the HGST 7k Ultrastars are pretty noisy too as are the Seagate SSHD. All high performance drives are going to be noisy.

Go for something like a NAS drive if you want quiet.

Usage?

Raid? what controller?

Passtrough? How many drives?

TLER? What do you really want?

Me myself would never touch WD black again.

I'm running WD RE4 for my file server and workstation. Xyratex SAN and Qnap NAS, Seagate ES.2 for my vmware datastore and HGST A7K4000 as passtrough drives for my media center.

If i was to buy new storage today, I would look at WD red pro for nas or the cold storage drives from WD. But for now, I would bet for HGST for reliability.

Somewhat off topic, but is the latest WD Black native 4k or 512E?

Not much info here:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760#Tab3

If i was to buy new storage today, I would look at WD red pro for nas or the cold storage drives from WD. But for now, I would bet for HGST for reliability.

To be honest, I'm not sure we should take the Backblaze data if that is what you are referring to at face value.

The question I guess is the real world results between a Seagate Enterprise Capacity, the HGST Ultrastar, the WD RE - I'm not sure Seagate is that much worse.

I think some of the Seagates are as well.

Check out ST6000NM0004:

http://www.seagate.com/ca/en/internal-hard-drives/enterprise-hard-drives/hdd/enterprise-capacity-3-5-hdd/#specs

4KN I'd assume is 4k Native?

512E would mean 512B Emulated

512N I would presume would be 512B Native?

On that note, speaking of reliability, the WD RE4 is 1.2M hours MBTF, while the HGST 7k6000 and the Seagate Enterprise Capacity are 2M each. The HGST Helium IIRC is also 2 million MBTF.

I would hesitate to guess that the WD Black WD4003FZEX would be the same MBTF as the RE4 or perhaps a bit lower.

Now that does not necessarily mean that the RE4 and by extension the Black, is less reliable (we'd need real world tests), but it gives us some idea how long the manufacturers expect these to last. I don't think that the HDD makers would lie about the MBTF.

To be honest, I'm not sure we should take the Backblaze data if that is what you are referring to at face value.

The question I guess is the real world results between a Seagate Enterprise Capacity, the HGST Ultrastar, the WD RE - I'm not sure Seagate is that much worse.

I've tried seagate ST3000DM001 for raid (15x in raid 6) and that was a total disaster. However, all my ES.2 drives works like a charm.

Yes, WD Black 2 has Load/unload cycles 300,000 the rest have 600,000 that is why one claims 1.2 million hours and the others 2 million hours.

Stay away from Black 2. I would have thought that they turned HGST into a "WD chinese maker" by now (since they bought HGST maybe they started making cheeper products there too).

Right now i am looking at :

Toshiba 3.5" SATA Hard Drive - MD Series - 5/4 TB

or

HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 (unless WD started forcing them to make cheeper quality ) 6TB, 5TB, 4TB & 2TB.

Seagate and Western Digital are more or less crap with high failuire rate !

Waiting for reviews. Any news when these come to european market ?

I just bought the 4TB Toshiba PH3400U-1I72 MD04ACA400. It is quite fast but unbearably noisy for me.

It doesn't seem like anyone is reviewing consumer hard drives anymore. Meanwhile the product lines have exploded, while the manufacturer's have consolidated. My server has been using a 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 and a 4TB Seagate ST4000DM000. I thought those were fairly loud. My two client PCs have 1TB Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX drives that are faster than the Seagates and quieter.

Really it looks like another ST4000DM000 may my best option for the server. Seagate has a 4-platter 5TB ST5000DM000 that might be a slightly better option for a little more money. It is certainly more recent. I haven't had any problems with Seagates. I had a couple of 2TB Barracudas before these too. They are not designed for arrays, which may partially explain the problems Blackblaze has had with them.

Seagate ST4000DM000 64MB $136/127 - slow, reliable
Seagate ST4000DM001 128MB - missing
Seagate STBD4000400 $157
Seagate ST5000DM000 $165 1.25TB/p
Seagate SSHD ST4000DX001 $153 Newegg (8GB flash useful?)
Seagate NAS ST4000VN000 $160
Seagate Surv ST4000VX000 $165
WD Green WD40EZRX $125 (warehouse)
WD Purple WD40PURX $165
WD Red WD40EFRX $180
WD SE WD4000F9YZ $217
WD Black WD4003FZEX $219
HGST 7K4000 $180
HGST HDS724040ALE640 $175
HGST NAS 0S03664 $165
Toshiba PH3400U-1I72 MD04ACA400 $140 Noisy
Toshiba PF3500U-1I72 $170

I just bought the 4TB Toshiba PH3400U-1I72 MD04ACA400. It is quite fast but unbearably noisy for me.

It's a quite fast 7200 rpm drive, which delivers 120 IOPS for non-queued 512 byte accesses over the entire sector range, beating my 1 TB WD Blue drive. You can hear that actuator working, it has no acoustic management.

If you are aiming for a silent drive, you could go with WD Green WD40EZRX, it's a 5400 rpm drive and it's seeking quietly. Of course, it does it's head-parking clicks, doesn't have APM support and has a built-in minimum limit for the spindown (standby) timer.

It doesn't seem like anyone is reviewing consumer hard drives anymore.

Nor does anyone review recent optical drives. Smartphones and tablets seem to be more interesting for the tech review crowd. ;)

If you are aiming for a silent drive, you could go with WD Green WD40EZRX, it's a 5400 rpm drive and it's seeking quietly. Of course, it does it's head-parking clicks, doesn't have APM support and has a built-in minimum limit for the spindown (standby) timer.

Nor does anyone review recent optical drives. Smartphones and tablets seem to be more interesting for the tech review crowd. ;)

The last and only WD Green was a 1.5TB model and it was super slow and noisy. That experience definitely put me off from buying any "green" drives. I definitely want APM too. I ordered the 4TB Seagate 5900 rpm hybrid drive ST4000DX001. Hopefully it is at least as quiet as the non-hybrid version. I am not expecting the 8GB of flash to be much help, but at least it has a year longer warranty than the non-hybrid version.

Edited by QuietOC

The last and only WD Green was a 1.5TB model and it was super slow and noisy. That experience definitely put me off from buying any "green" drives. I definitely want APM too. I ordered the 4TB Seagate 5900 rpm hybrid drive ST4000DX001. Hopefully it is at least as quiet as the non-hybrid version. I am not expecting the 8GB of flash to be much help, but at least it has a year longer warranty than the non-hybrid version.

For what do you need APM support in a desktop drive?

For linear transfers the WD40EZRX is on par with the MD04ACA400, proving that the WD drive has an higher areal density than the Toshiba. And while being quiet and slow on non-queued random seeks, it's performing well on queued accesses, depending on which benchmark you ask, even better than the Toshiba. Although, having it in an USB enclosure doesn't give you any benefits from command queuing, so for external use the MD would be the better choice.

It doesn't seem like anyone is reviewing consumer hard drives anymore. Meanwhile the product lines have exploded, while the manufacturer's have consolidated. My server has been using a 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 and a 4TB Seagate ST4000DM000. I thought those were fairly loud. My two client PCs have 1TB Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX drives that are faster than the Seagates and quieter.

Really it looks like another ST4000DM000 may my best option for the server. Seagate has a 4-platter 5TB ST5000DM000 that might be a slightly better option for a little more money. It is certainly more recent. I haven't had any problems with Seagates. I had a couple of 2TB Barracudas before these too. They are not designed for arrays, which may partially explain the problems Blackblaze has had with them.

Seagate ST4000DM000 64MB $136/127 - slow, reliable
Seagate ST4000DM001 128MB - missing
Seagate STBD4000400 $157
Seagate ST5000DM000 $165 1.25TB/p
Seagate SSHD ST4000DX001 $153 Newegg (8GB flash useful?)
Seagate NAS ST4000VN000 $160
Seagate Surv ST4000VX000 $165
WD Green WD40EZRX $125 (warehouse)
WD Purple WD40PURX $165
WD Red WD40EFRX $180
WD SE WD4000F9YZ $217
WD Black WD4003FZEX $219
HGST 7K4000 $180
HGST HDS724040ALE640 $175
HGST NAS 0S03664 $165
Toshiba PH3400U-1I72 MD04ACA400 $140 Noisy
Toshiba PF3500U-1I72 $170

Are you talking about these new Toshiba 3.5 drives : http://www.toshiba.eu/hard-drives/internal-hard-drives/sata-hard-drive-desktop-md-series/ ?

PX3009E-1HP0 - 4TB

PX3010E-1HQ0 - 5 TB

In europe they clearlly state :

SILENT EFFICIENCY

The MD Series carries out its tasks with smooth efficiency. The low noise level makes it ideal for home as well as for office use.

si-sata-hard-drive-desktop-md-series-sil

In USA :

PH3400U-1I72 - 4 TB

PH3500U-1I72 - 5 TB

http://www.toshiba.com/us/accessories/Storage/Hard-Drive-Replacements-and-Upgrades/4TB/PH3400U-1I72

http://www.toshiba.com/us/accessories/Storage/Hard-Drive-Replacement/5TB/PH3500U-1I72

So they are that nosy to be unbearable. Fake marketing for Toshiba then.

Any tests ?

If that is the case i am left with buying a HGST Ultrastar 7K6000. Any test here ?

I just picked up a PH3500U-1I72 - 5 TB (MD04ACA500).

I'm really bad at gauging what is noisy. It seems no louder than my previous drives. Then again I never really thought my old 10K rpm raptor was noisy. Speed is comparable to the 1TB/platter seagate I had at just over 200MB/s hdparm results.

Edited by thisperson100

So they are that nosy to be unbearable. Fake marketing for Toshiba then.

Any tests ?

These are as loud as you can expect it from 7200 rpm drives with 4 or 5 platters, but not louder than that nor exceptionally noisy. They are no super-silent drives either. The MD drives do a good job on fast seek times and that is something you can hear, too. I'm fine with that, YMMV. (Back in the old days, before the advent of patent trolls, we had AAM available to adjust that, but this is a thing of the past now.)

just a tips, you guys can use sound damper foam on your case or stick around hdd cage

i use it on my system, and i hear almost none hdd sound anymore

anyway WD green isnt really good hdd

WD still make it the head parking every 8secs idling right ?

seems same with WD Red (the only different is firmware?)

@Vampire first time i hear Black2 only have 300K compared to 600K

which Black2 btw? that hybrid hdd or Black version 2 (model that with ending FZEX)

based http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771434.pdf

all black have 300K, infact all WD consumer HDD have 300K

only enteprise series that have 600K

also if WD crap, then no different with HGST

moreover HGST drive is produced in china, while WD thai or malay, but of course parts might come from china too

Edited by slyphnier