Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevin OBrien

EchoStreams FlacheSAN1L-D Review Discussion

6 posts in this topic

The EchoStreams FlacheSAN1L-D is a highly dense 1U server that serves multiple use cases by packing a tremendous amount of storage and performance in a small form factor.

EchoStreams FlacheSAN1L-D Review

guys, how exactly did you connect this enclosure for HBA1 and HBA2 testing ? No matter how I look, this info seems to be missing in the article.

Oh sure I like the performance.

I'll grab a picture, but basically its removing the expander. We mention it in the comparable part, although to go into slightly more detail the unit can be configured with an expander 8 to 20 channel, or the expander can be removed and you use the onboard SATA miniSAS (for 4 drives/boot), then the onboard LSI3008 connects to 8 SSDs and a second LSI 9300-8i PCIe card is added for the remaining 8 drives.

Hey Kevin, I've chatted with you about this before.... but it seems like the speed (MB/s) of RAW drives keeps going up as newer adapters/protocols (PCIE3.0/12 gb sas/NVMe. etc') are introduced, but put the drives into an array and the performance drops (specifically the array's write ability).

Is this something that will ever be addressed in your mind?

Well this is one of the reasons local storage is considered so valuable for newer applications that can leverage it. If you can access flash locally, vs going through say a network storage layer, your performance is going to go up and your latency is going to drop. RAID will get better as time goes on, although I think larger storage groups will always have trouble keeping up.

It's not even the network storage layer..... It's the RAID process in general. I've still yet to see a single benchmark with any type of RAID perform writes at over 3 GB/s