Sign in to follow this  
Onkar

Can I Continue with this hard drive?

I Have Seagate ST3160215AS Hard drive .Few days ago I opened my PC for cleaning. When I detached the hard drive from SATA Power cable I fount that the SATA power port has been burnt.The hard drive is working fine.What want t ask is can I continue with this hard drive?

As the HDD is 9 years old it is out of warranty period. I tried to find a replacement PCB for this model with same firmware 4.AAB. Ifailed to find it . Can I use this drive? if no How can I replace the burnt connector

These are the images post-102908-0-89526400-1424089578_thumb.post-102908-0-40590200-1424089648_thumb.

It looks like you have a poor electrical connector from your computer's power supply. Loose fitting connector that either had too much resistance or a one that partially bridged a pin next to it.

I'd clean up the spot as best I could, removing some of the burnt plastic maybe with a razor blade of a fine grit sandpaper. If the drive still powers up and has no other signs of failure you can probably keep using it. Just don't use the same fitting from the PSU anymore.

• Like 1

There are a lot of redundant pins in a SATA power connector. As above, polish it up and you should be fine. I'd replace the power supply connector or PSU itself though as loose connectors could cause new burns.