danwat1234

Seagate hybrid laptop drives; abnormally loud seeking when tilting lap

I have had 3 different hybrid drives from Seagate now. One, a 500GB Momentus XT, 2nd a 500GB thin SSHD and now a 3rd, a 750GB Momentus XT.

On the first one, when I got it, it was quiet all the time. But then as it aged it began to exhibit loud seeking noises when it was seeking while the hard drive was under any sort of g-forces such as angular changes. Not abusive just tilting the laptop up and down. The seeks would continue to be loud for some time after that, then quiet down again.
Eventually it had multiple 'reported uncorrectable error' count. Also the 'seek error rate' and 'raw read error rate' SMART values continued to rise throughout it's life.

Then I sent it in for RMA and got the thin SSHD, recertified. It was louder still!

Ridiculous. I sent that in for RMA and now have the last generation 7200RPM hybrid drive, recertified. It is also a bit louder when seeking and it had to deal with slow angular changes, but not bad at all.
Also with all 3 drives, the 'seek error rate' and 'raw read error rate' SMART values are always rising. I've heard this is normal for these drives because it's actually counting all seeks and all reads even if successful. Something about lower bits are for successful operations and upper bits are for unsuccessful?

Anyway, this post is about the abnormally loud seeking noises. This must be a widespread manufacturing issue with these drives! I've tried them in my laptop and in an external enclosure with the same behavior. At least I found the same behavior with the 2nd drive.

Thanks Edited by danwat1234

Hard to say if it's a manufacturing issue or it's loud by design. By that, I mean, design tradeoffs to achieve some other performance metric, rather than actual defective manufacturing or assembly. Generally, slow changes in position shouldn't cause odd sounds, but dramatic ones can make the drive unhappy and possibly cause damage.

That's for posting. It's not loud like that when left alone and doing random seeking, usually. It's way louder than it should be, I've RMAed it with a note in the box so that hopefully the drive will get to an engineer. I am wondering if others have had the same experience with Seagate Momentus drives. WD and Hitachi mobile drives don't get louder when you give them a bit of g-forces under load.

Edited by danwat1234

I've got a few boxes of Seagate Momentus Thin's here, haven't noticed anything (we integrate tons here), but then it's not that quiet in any of my testing areas or production... and yeah, not exactly looking for it either.