Brian

What is Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) Discussion

We have them and review will be out next week.

Sweet.

If possible, USB 3 speed would be nice to know, too. I expect them to not shine so bright.

Well what Brian was getting at is we have the 8TB SMR drives in the lab, although they came as bare drives directly from Seagate. So we don't have those enclosures if you purchased them in that external package.

that said I'll keep and eye out in the lab and see if I can come up with a good interface to test out. There will be a ton of variability though depending on the chipset each enclosure offers.

Sharing some of our backup test data with Seagate today and hope to move towards completion. The review is going to cover a few areas:

1. Where to not use the drive and benchmarks showing that performance (NAS)

2. Where single drive performance works (client)

3. Where non-RAID drive groups work (archive/backup)

Had to cross a bunch of Ts and dot a lot of Is with this review.

Want to see something scary? 8TB RAID1 rebuild times with an SMR drive... looking at ~21 days right now at current sync speed.

post-47697-0-50314600-1425153266_thumb.p

What caused that total collapse in performance?

If that's 21 days, I'd assume that it be around day 15ish that something happened? Or is this an unexpected fallout of new technology? I was expecting SMR to have a performance hit, but not a total collapse.

Edit: Any idea if the 10TB HGST SMR drive also takes a massive performance hit? The 8TB Helium drives I think are still PMR.

Edited by CrazyElf

The drive just crumbles under load, especially in raid.

HGST 8TB is PMR. HGST SMR drives are host managed, won't work in Windows, etc. well if at all. Seagate drives are drive managed SMR. More on that coming.

Since SMR drives have to write over overlapping tracks, heavy write activity causes a ton of background stuff to take place.

So, seeing the sneak peek of the RAID stuff - then I really would like to see performance of those 8TB SMR USB3 drives they sell on Newegg. They must perform just absolutely horrible?

It really depends on how you use it. Moving over 20-30GB at a time? Going to see traditional HDD performance. Looking at only read performance? Same deal.

Sustained write is a whole different ballgame. RAID rebuild was one area... 4k write IOPS was 3 IOPS sustained. 8k 70/30 was 10 IOPS sustained.