Sign in to follow this  
Brian

EMC VNX5200 Review Discussion

The EMC VNX5200 is a key entry in a their new wave of unified storage arrays that are architected to take advantage of flash storage, multi-core CPUs and modern datacenter network environments. Its affordability, flexibility in configuration, and access to VNX2 management software and third-party integrations makes for a formidable overall package for the midmarket.

EMC VNX5200 Review

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the detailed review - we are considering a VNX2. Since the test was done at EMC HQ - the actual specs of the VNX5200 was not listed.

Can you please confirm the number of disks that were used in each of the test (that is, SSD, 15K, 10K and 7K)?

Having a low number of disks will lead of lower performance - this input would be appreciated.

Appreciate the work done to test array!

I have really found this site helpful.

Thanks.

PS. Synthetic benchmarking is great; but have you considered something like VMmark - for more real world IOPS/Latency figures.

I'll ask Kevin about the disk count.

We run VMmark on everything we can. Doing so off site is not possible however. This was the first time we attempted to run a subset of testing at a vendor's location. Not ideal but better than nothing.

For each drive group, 24+1 disks were used. So for the 2.5" disks one shelf was needed, while for the 3.5" 7k nearline, two shelves were used to match the disk count.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know why there is such a discrepancy between the same tests done using FC and ISCSI for the same disk type? There is significant latency and reduction in IOPS when using iSCSI.

I would assume that iSCSI was setup correctly. If so, is the VNX code not optimised for iSCSI?

I assume the results would have raised eyebrows at the EMC HQ.

Appreciate your thoughts.

R.