Sign in to follow this  
alpha754293

Questions about the details of Windows Storage Spaces

Here are some more "generic" questions about the details of Windows Storage Spaces and I am hoping someone here would be able to help answer:

1) Is the parity calculation for a parity storage pool multithreaded?

2) How does Windows Storage Spaces know what drives are in a pool? Is it by some kind of GUID from the hard drive that are members of that pool or is it something else? (Like if I were to have a drive fail and swap PCBs, will that be enough to bring the pool back online)?

3) If a pool goes offline (or is in another sort of "downgraded" state), what data recovery tools are available to extract the data off the drives?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

On question #2, here is a prior thread that seems to indicate its a mixture of serial number and metadata that goes into drive/pool identification.

http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/36518-storage-spaces-and-repaired-drive-new-pcb/

That user swapped PCBs to no avail.

On question #3, googling around seems to show a few companies that have software packages to restore data from Storage Spaces volumes. Obviously the best bet is to never get into that situation and some sort of backup process in place :)

On question #2, here is a prior thread that seems to indicate its a mixture of serial number and metadata that goes into drive/pool identification.

http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/36518-storage-spaces-and-repaired-drive-new-pcb/

That user swapped PCBs to no avail.

On question #3, googling around seems to show a few companies that have software packages to restore data from Storage Spaces volumes. Obviously the best bet is to never get into that situation and some sort of backup process in place :)

Those are the kinds of things that making me nervous about using it as a backup server because I ran into similiar type of problems with ZFS before with similiar outcomes. :( (I mean, I haven't had any problems yet with Storage Spaces, but if I know what the risks are, then I can better try and at least plan or protect from them).

Luckily, this is going to be the backup server (the primary server is just running straight-up HW RAID5 in a single, monolithic array/volume), so I don't feel so bad if this backup server fails.

Thanks.

(I'm also curious as to whether I can enable compression on a storage pool (and trying to understand the risks associated with that) and also enabling/running deduplication to reduce the amount of space that's actually consumed (a la ZFS).)

Thank you for helping me and answering my dumb questions about it. Like I said, I'm only just now beginning to learn about Storage Spaces.

I can say that I've had pretty good luck with deduplication inside Storage Spaces. I have a little microserver stashed away as a zombie apocalypse backup platform for my vital lab VMs. We back stuff up to a few sources... this guy is one of them.

To limit any data corruption issues, its best not to do a ton of write activity during your dedupe window. You can schedule when that is though. On this particular server 12am-11am is the dedupe time, while 12pm-11:59pm is my window for issuing backups.

I can say that I've had pretty good luck with deduplication inside Storage Spaces. I have a little microserver stashed away as a zombie apocalypse backup platform for my vital lab VMs. We back stuff up to a few sources... this guy is one of them.

To limit any data corruption issues, its best not to do a ton of write activity during your dedupe window. You can schedule when that is though. On this particular server 12am-11am is the dedupe time, while 12pm-11:59pm is my window for issuing backups.

Gotcha. ;) Good tip. Thanks!

Has anybody ever seen this before?

(Where cygwin doesn't report the available space on a Windows Storage Spaces pool correctly.)

post-883-0-58335800-1422440675_thumb.png

Edited by alpha754293