Sign in to follow this  
sjimbrow

Need advice on future storage

I have an IBM DS-5100 with Cisco MDS9148. I am not out of storage yet, but the SAN is smarter than what I need. I need to store large amounts of data that I write and occasionaly retrieve.

My thought was to somehow use FC JBOD's to resove future storage issues but am slightly unfamilar so am looking to find one with redundant RAID controllers that would allow me to present LUN's via the MDS to the VM's as the IBM does now. As I am not using the full fuctionality of the SAN it seems to me a less capbible storage solution would be a more cost effective option for the future.

Any advice would prove helpful

thanks

I have limited rack space, so the density of the storage is important and the SAN will only support 3TB drives, so I am looking for something that will have greater density Budget is a real concern but not totally limiting, I am looking for something more cost effective than the SAN. All the current interfaces are FC, but there is ethernet avalible.

Since you mention rack density being a big concern as well as growth to support additional storage capacity, one thing that comes to mind is DotHill's Ultra48 or Ultra56 platforms. The 48 is a 2U 48 2.5" disk FC/iSCSI/JBOD system depending on configuration. We reviewed it in an all-disk config this past year and are wrapping up tests with its new tiering software (fantastic performance, best yet in virtualization). The 2.5" disk size might be a limitation for you, which is where the Ultra56 comes in. It supports 56 3.5" disks in a 3U space with the same controllers as the Ultra48.

We've yet to find anything else in that middle range quite as dense. You can go very dense with some custom gear (EchoStreams has some super-dense SSD platforms) although for the simplicity of plug and play with FC storage the DotHill platform really offers a well rounded package.

That doesn't bother me for some reason. Probably being too naive about it...but if "they" want to get my info "they" will. The they being NSA, hackers or whomever else that hates my credit score, lol.

When will we get around to discussing the future storage? Title aside, all I'm hearing is present-day storage solutions. I'd like to hear about the upcoming isolinear chips in the petabyte ranges.

Thank you Kevin for your response. I do have some room so I would certainly want to use the 3.5 disks. So I could attach the Ultra56 to the existing FC SAN switch, and the software in the Ultra56 would allow me to create LUN's and present them to the VM's? Sorry if the question is simplistic, but outside of the existing IBM SAN I don't know a lot.

thanks

I have been going over the DotHill website and I have two questions

Can I just buy regular 3.5 drives? (Do I have to get them from them?) How are they on drive support for size? (IBM said they would not support larger than 3TB on our model) The Ultra56 looks like it supports 6TB, will it be a software update for 8TB?

Again I am unfamilair with DotHill so besides the website have people been generally happy with there products and support?

Dot Hill will be a little more loose with the whitelist from what we've seen. Most vendors will not support the use of any drives other than what they sell you. Sounds like you probably should find a reseller in your area for DH and ask these questions. Stuff in our lab just shows up and we regularly use it off label, so I don't want to send you down the wrong path.

http://www.dothill.com/how-to-buy/