Kevin OBrien

Toshiba Announces 3TB 2.5-Inch HDD Discussion

Toshiba has announced a new 3TB 2.5-inch hard disk drive (MQ03ABB300) and the industry’s largest capacity for that specific form factor. The drive leverages perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR) technology and is the first 2.5-inch HDD to achieve 750GB per platter, using a total of 4 platters to achieve storage of 3TB. The MQ03ABB300 is designed for external personal storage devices and space-constrained use cases that require high storage capacity.

Toshiba Announces 3TB 2.5-Inch HDD

Agreed, impressive progress! With 4 platters it's probably 12.5 or 15 mm high and doesn't fit standard 2.5" bays, but I won't complain about someone pushing the edge of storage further :)

MrS

%$#^%$ awesome! I remember posting in the Samsung M9T review thread, asking if a 4 platter 12.5mm will exist, since 9.5mm can now have 3 platters squeezed in there. W00t w00t I just hope it's 12.5 and not 15mm. 1 of them in my optical drive bay and 1 in my secondary HDD slot in my Asus G50VT.

Edit before posting: ah Thumbsdown bleh, it's 15mm.. But still good for USB powered externals

http://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/ap-en/product/storage-products/specialty/mq03abbxxx.html

Yep, 15mm.. bleh. Useless for internal.

Good for external disks tho, so honestly I can't complain. And 1.7w power draw, so should be just fine off USB 3.0...

Yes, we'll see them release a bunch of branded products I'm sure using this guy. Until we get client SMR in portable enclosures 3TB may be the top.