Jlm70

Using a SDXC as an extended HDD...

Hello, I've just received @work a new Lenovo T440s with a 230GB SSD. While its performance is quite ok for my job, I miss my previous 320GB 7200HDD, that was almost full.

I cannot change my SSD, nor I'd like to have always with myself a bulky external USB3 HDD, so... I've bought a new Transcend SDXC 128GB card (UHS I - U3, model TS128GSDU3) that I'd like to use as D: drive for less used, downloads or archived files.

I've tested its read performance and it's 70MBs on average (not the 95 exposed in specs, but it could be ok for me - always better than previous HDD).

My major concern is... RELIABILITY. While I could obviously back it up on my NAS at regular intervals, I don't know how much lower these cards have a specific read/write lifecycle than regular SDD/HDDs. And if are there any specific tools that could check and try recovering lost data situations, similarily to HDDs (I know there are recovery tools, but dunno how reliable).

Any ideas on this?

Many thanks in advance!

The problem you will run into when using the SD cards in that manner is performance will nose dive after a while. They don't have the same garbage collection as a SSD (no TRIM either) and HDD sequential performance will rival that even over USB3.

Also remember that SD cards generally use the lowest possible NAND flash. The best cards on the market right now in my opinion are those Samsung models that use MLC NAND.

Just rotate one or two in use and keep backups. Worst that happens is one dies... just don't let that nuke content that only exists on it.

Many tks, Kevin.

Yes, my target is not performance, in this case, but reliability and space... And the fact that a card could die with no previous advise... that is my first worry.

And tks for the Samsung point, I'll consider it for the next ones...

What Kevin said. Also consider small file transfer performance (e.g. 4K, 8K block sizes) are often pretty terrible, so if you deal a lot with small files, it may be less than ideal.

But so long as you keep backups, it's definitely viable. I would prefer to run Sandisk or Samsung over Transcend if reliability is a concern, but the simple truth is everything can fail even if it's expensive/nicer/whatever, and I'm going to guess the Transcend 128GB you bought is probably significantly cheaper than the Sandisk or Samsung equivalents. If so-- you're better off buying a second Transcend card than a single more expensive card.