Sign in to follow this  
andreyi

Problem with my External HDD

Hello im new here i found one post on this forum but it did not state the fix.

I have external 750gb 5400rpm hgst HDD in a enclosure (dynex 3.0 usb) today i drop it on accident it was not running when i power it up the computer can not recognize the HDD, Hard drive start i get clicking noise and then stop what is does the usb turns off here is example of what i mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GQdfG4ZzCU please someone help me out i have very important data i need to recover

You're in trouble and this is why it drives me crazy that people have such poor plans like this. You can send it to a data recovery service, but that's going to cost you. Maybe try this guy's tactics first?

Since it's an external drive, it'd be worth checking the obvious things first, like bad cables that got damaged from the drop. Maybe also open the enclosure to extra the drive and see if it works when plugged in directly to the computer via SATA.

Does the drive even try to spin up? Did you plug in both SATA and power to the drive?

If that doesn't work, then you could try a board swap as shown in the YouTube link Brian provided above. Beyond that, there aren't any options for the average user short of professional data recovery.

Opening your hard drive and powering it up is bad news. I know because i tried this and I was told it damages the platters microscopically. I had to send the drive to DiskEng Data Recovery, they did recover the data but had to change the heads twice, opening the lid you lose the head allignement and introduce scratches on the platters that causes data lost.

I learnt alot just by taking to these guys at http://www.diskeng.com who recovered all my picture files but I think some newer drives maybe 4TB I have one of these as backup drive now, if you open it and power it up then drive will be dead.

This ^

I hate to break it to you, but as soon as the cover was popped off data recovery chances are minimal and very costly.