anywhere

Opened hdd platters...

Tried cloning via dd. Kernel was pissed near the end. Right from start smart said 56 bad sector's. Towards the end it dropped out, nasty clicks.

Had 2 problems. One was arm was stuck. Opened drive cavity and unstuck that. Even plugged in power and double checked.

Other problem, took pcb off and cleaned a pressure spot with alcohol.

Assembled everything, fired it up, and restarted the imaging from start to finish..

All I ended up with was 1 extra sector bad. 250gb.

Mounted image, had to mount the offset, issued Ntfsfix and ntfsck of the loop, fixed what it didn't like and copied everything out of the mounted image.

Point being, I opened a hdd in a non clean room, ran it, assembled, and pulled data without issue.

If it sits open and gets a bunch of dust on it that's different. But as a last resort, I've proven it. Open the bitch up and have fun.

Assembled

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

I'm sure it was luck. I didn't want to open it, so as last attempt to recover pictures, I did it. Lucky? Maybe. Possible? Yes. Is there hope? Absolutely.

In all honesty I'd do it again if I had to.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

i opened my hd to see if my platter was scratched it was not is it possible to get the same hard drive and take the platter out and install in a new drive i really hate to spend 1000 of dollars for data recovery which in my opinion its a rip off i dont think its that difficult to do

i opened my hd to see if my platter was scratched it was not is it possible to get the same hard drive and take the platter out and install in a new drive i really hate to spend 1000 of dollars for data recovery which in my opinion its a rip off i dont think its that difficult to do

No. I have access to the equipment to do this properly and I *still* wouldn't bother. Assuming the act of opening up the drive didn't introduce contaminants that are going to kill your drive quickly, you can't always see scratches, with the naked eye, that would cause problems. Plus, you can't see the other disk surfaces without taking out the platters anyway.

If you have no plans on paying for data recovery because you do not have the money (or otherwise feel it's not worth it), then try the software recovery methods first. If none of those work and you want to take a chance and swap out parts, you'll have better chances of it working by moving a functioning actuator from a donor drive to your damaged drive than the other way around.

Does the hd have to same storage space to change parts out I want buy identical hard drive but maybe less space and replace the parts not touching the platter or disk

Yes. Drives with lesser capacity will use either different parts to achieve that or software to disable the "bad" surfaces to block off the unusable space.