Sign in to follow this  
misterix

Hard Drive Problem

I have a 2 TB External Hitachi USB 3 Hard Drive. I was transferring 200 GBs of data on my Windows 7 Internal Hard Drive to the External HD. At around the 40gb left mark I forgot that I was transferring files and I accidentally hit the hard drive. I heard an error noise from the hard drive for a second. The impact wasn't hard but it apparently was enough to make the noise. The files seemed to proceed to copy as normal and at the same speed after the incident. I then went to see if all the files copied and it looked good. The hard drive seems to perform as normal afterwards. I ran a chkdsk from the command prompt and it reported no errors or bad sectors. I read online that you can damage your hard drive if you move it while files are being transferred. I don't think that I damaged the hard drive or feel like the files didn't copy correctly. But I am nervous that I might have damaged something. Is there some sort of test that I can run to tell if I physically damaged the Hard Drive?

It it works it works, although I'd still personally be cautious of the durability of the drive afterwards. Using CrystalDiskInfo, do you see any SMART errors or warnings?

You probably caused a mid-write seek error, and heard the heads resetting their position. The drive should have just rewritten that block from cache and moved on. In which case your drive is fine.

It's unlikely your hit would cause enough Gs to force actual damage. You more normally see high Gs when you drop a drive against a hard surface. Or tap it with something solid, like a hammer. Something more solid than your hand.

If you want to be super careful, you could delete the 400 GB and recopy it across. Against the chance that the write head wandered into other tracks and corrupted them before the drive noticed.

Edited by reader50