Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thesharkie

Experience with LITEON SSDs?

5 posts in this topic

Dell is selling servers with LITEON IT ECT 480 N9S SSDs. I have no experience with LITEON SSDs and can only find very limited information about the LITEONs online.

I have seen the brief fact sheet on the drive, but one thing is the official numbers, another is real-life performance.

Do you use LITEON SSDs in production on high-load servers, and if so, how do they compare to Intel DC S3500 drives with regards to performance and longevity?

Which one would you go for, and why?

I've only used them in regards to boot drives. The R630 server we had in for a bit used them in RAID1 for boot, while the SanDisk varients were for performance storage. I'd say they are more similar to a consumer product than an enterprise one, and wouldnt compete with the S3500. Maybe think of it more like comparing to the SSD 530.

1 person likes this

I've only used them in regards to boot drives. The R630 server we had in for a bit used them in RAID1 for boot, while the SanDisk varients were for performance storage. I'd say they are more similar to a consumer product than an enterprise one, and wouldnt compete with the S3500. Maybe think of it more like comparing to the SSD 530.

Thanks Kevin. Were they the N9S editions? LiteOn do state they are Enterprise grade (http://www.liteonssd.com/datasheet/LiteOn%20N9S%20US%20lores.pdf).

I'm just very hesitant to get 100+ of these when I find no benchmarks or other third party reviews of them anywhere.

I'll hopefully have my hands on them in another couple of weeks (getting a production R630). For heavy workloads I'd really only consider the SanDisk or Micron 1.8" models. Not a ton of players in the space.

1 person likes this

Thanks Kevin. Were they the N9S editions? LiteOn do state they are Enterprise grade (http://www.liteonssd.com/datasheet/LiteOn%20N9S%20US%20lores.pdf).

I'm just very hesitant to get 100+ of these when I find no benchmarks or other third party reviews of them anywhere.

I agree that you should be hesitant with that many drives. Of course Dell backs them, but do you really want to deal with drives failing with more than normal regularity? I'm not saying that they will fail, but I was surprised to see them in the Dell server when it arrived.

1 person likes this