Sign in to follow this  
conceptV

What are these defects on my brand new HGST internal drive?

Hello,

I bought a brand new HGST Deskstar 4TB NAS (HDN724040ALE640) sealed in a retail box. After unboxing and physically inspecting it, I discovered major material defects on the sides of the HDD case in the proximity of the screw holes.

You can see one image of each side here: http://imgur.com/a/waIf0 (clicking on an image shows the full resolution)

The manufacturing date shows October 2014 with a full 3 year warranty according to the HGST warranty webpage.

I talked to HGST about this and they said I should return the drive to the seller and get a new one (only possible on monday...). I'm just curious: Did anyone else observe such defects? Are those just material defects produced in the fab, which shouldn't have passed QA? Or was this drive repackaged out of a enclosure? (I can't possibly imagine that leaving such deep marks even if the drive was removed with raw power?! Plus it came in a sealed retail box...)

I read about repackaged / relabeled HGST NAS bulk drives with some scratches but this is clearly worse.

I'm really looking forward for some answers :)

conceptV

Edited by conceptV

Those aren't material defects and it is very normal to see those to some degree on all hard drives, consumer and enterprise. The drive is 100% A-OK.

Those are normal casting marks found on almost all hard drives. I've included some example shots on the drives we've reviewed. Completely honest that there is nothing wrong with that you are seeing. The drive exterior is designed to meet a certain width spec. The internal cavity (under the cover) is the area with a high level of machining. If those "seams" stick out a little bit, they run in through a little grinder to get it to meet the maximum exterior width requirement.

StorageReview-Seagate-Enterprise-Performance-10K7-Bottom.jpg

StorageReview-Seagate-Enterprise-Capacity-6TB-Bottom.jpg

StorageReview-Constellation-ES3-3TB.jpg

Western-Digital-3TB-AV-GP-Front.jpg

ES_SIDE_small.jpg

StorageReview-Seagate-Desktop HDD-15-Bottom.jpg

StorageReview-Seagate-Desktop-SSHD-Bottom.jpg

• Like 1

Yea it really depends on a casting by casting basis. If one is a little bit out of spec, they grind it down a bit in a not so beautiful manner. That said those steps are very very early into the process, which later steps offer a ton more detail and precision.

Kevin has already answered. Just about all disk drives use die-cast aluminum bases; those markings are casting markings, such as flash or parting lines. Often, a trim die is used to get it roughly to size, then more detailed cleanup happens with someone holding the base against a sanding belt. The voids are bubbles (porosity) in the aluminum.

I think I've seen a few that used stamped steel bases, but that's only going to be with the really small form factor drives.

So absolutely nothing wrong with your drive. :)