Sign in to follow this  
dillusiv

IBM Deskstar 75GXP, and Travel Star

Hi all I'm the most unliky person. I have a dell Laptop with an IBM travelstar drive, diagnostic shows that the travel star is good... but well this thing clicks, clicks, clicks, clicks... moment of silence... clicks, clicks... locking up my laptop... Dell laptop users /w IBM drives know this well. I also own a 75gb 75GXP, 2 of them... costing me 700 bucks (sucks to be me). Both have bad sectors.. but surprisingly have been running over 1 year. I managed to get one of the drives to be approved by the RMA process, after reading, I wonder if it's risky to send the 75gxp back, I may get an even worse drive.

Also, I have bad sectors, as indcated by DFT, but now for the 3rd time running DFT, when I try to locate the bad sectors they are gone, I know IBM has some sort of bad block mapping that records the location of the bad sectors, but could someone please tell me a utility that can bypass this, I want to know how many bad sectors I have, and how much space I have lost.

Thanks

People have been saying that setting up IBM 75 GXP on a raid is bad. How is this so? I've been wondering what is the cause, the IDE raid should be handling how data should be written, and it's simply up to the hard drive to write data. I have (er. had) my 2 75gb 75gxp's on a promise raid fasttrak/100 for storage purposes, the raid caused all sorts of weird issued under ext2 filesystem... just writing, deleting, renaming files would cause fsck to return inode problems.

Thanks