Brian

Samsung SSD 850 EVO SSD Review Discussion

Given the performance and the price profile that will quickly resemble that of the 840 EVO in retail, we really can't recommend this drive enough for those who want the best combination of performance, endurance and cost. Samsung has impressed yet again, topping themselves with an excellent drive on nearly all fronts.

Samsung SSD 850 EVO SSD Review

For a TLC-drive, I suppose we now have near MLC-like endurance. That is one consequence I guess of moving to 40nm.

Would this be recommended over the MX100? I suppose a new leaderboard SSD?

Probably so. The MX100 is a lone soldier with data power fail protection. No one else on the client side thinks that feature is important.

It seems like in that regard, Micron and Samsung are different.

Samsung: Our performance drives are generally the fastest (850 Pro, XP941), and we generally offer pretty cost effective high end equipment. Our mainstream drives (840 Evo, 850 Evo) aren't always the cheapest, but they're near the top for speed, despite being TLC.

Micron: Emphasis on reliability (Ex: basic power loss protection) and low cost per GB. They don't seem to care about performance though.

Considering the MX100 is quite a bit cheaper than either EVO I'd still recommend the MX100 for regular dekstop usage. The reason is that while benchmarks show a performance difference, most real world usage scenarios don't hammer the SSD like that. And if they do, the MX100 is still fast.

For heavier I/O load feel free to use faster drives.. but then you might want to skip the EVO and go straight for the top performers.

MrS