Sign in to follow this  
karcer

2TB or 3TB HDD for Thinkpad T520 into Ultrabay

Hi there

I prefer quiet before speed one. Maybe will be better 5400rpm before 7200rpm ? Or is someone quiet with 7200 rpm too ?

Will be better connect my old Toshiba MK5061GSY to Ultrabay and new one as Master?

Ill have dualboot. On master HDD will be only Ubuntu and on second one will be one ubuntu patition and one partition with Windows. See you any problem with that?

I would like to buy a cheap caddy from Ebay .. Somethink like that one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrabay-SATA-2nd-HD-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Tray-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420i-T510-W510-T520-/221059818576?pt=US_Drive_Bay_Caddies&hash=item3378312450

Its good idea ?

Thank you and sorry for my English :)

That drive tray seems fine. It takes 2.5" HDDs, which currently do not provide any more than 2 TB of disk space. It also can't take drives with 15 mm height, so Toshiba, WD and Seagate Enterprise are out of the question. This leaves the Samsung Spinpoint M9T as your only choice. It's only 9.5 mm high and runs at 5.4k rpm.

It doesn't matter which drive you put into which place, as long as you handle your GRUB well. Your "old" Toshiba drive with 7.2k rpm may be faster as system drive than the M9T, but both are slow regular HDDs anyway.

MrS

Thank you for your answer.

I'm not very happy that I don't have any choose between more HDDs..

Seller wrote me that caddy support only SATA II NOT SATA III.

Is SATA III important for that HDD? I read in one forum that T520 don't support SATA III and in another one that support ;-)

... nor for anyone else. Actually it's amazing that the Samsung is able to pack entire 2 TB into such a small package at all!

Regarding SATA 2/3: it's backwards compatible and for slow HDDs like this one even SATA 1 is not a bottleneck.

MrS

LOL, yes. There are 3TB HDDs, he just can't have one, lol.

Indeed, the accomplishment is not trivial, WD and HGST haven't done it yet and it's been what, a year or so?