zero_cool

Weird Seagate 1TB problem...

Hi to all,
A couple of days ago, my "1TB ST1000DM003" Seagate with firmware "CC49" and S.M.A.R.T. status "GOOD", started behaving oddly.
When I was trying to copy an amount of data bigger than a few KB from my SSD windows 8 drive to this drive, the copy process was starting normally for a second and then the graph was dropping gradually to zero... At first I thought it was a windows problem and started backing up data to format the SSD with a new OS but after shutting down the computer once, the drive failed completely.
After the shutdown, my 1TB seagate was not spinning any more, the bios was reporting "sata3 hdd error" and the size of the drive has been reduced to 123GB from 1TB according to BIOS status. In windows the drive was detected normally on "Device Manager" and it was normally appearing on Computer but without access to it and with the wrong size.
After trying a lot of things, like changing the PCB, and some HDD utilities, I tried updating the firmware of the drive with the seagate utility I downloaded from the seagate website (the .exe not the iso), and like a miracle in the middle of the process of detecting the drives on my system, the hard drive resurrected and started spinning!! After that, the machine rebooted into windows and the drive was exactly as before, normal size, all data present and full speed without any problems!
My question now is this, every time I shutdown the computer the drive becomes broken again, and every time I run the seagate update program is being resurrected! So first of all, what is the exact problem of the drive and is there any way to fix this error, without loosing the drive or changing the PCB?

Maybe your data is less valuable to you than mine is. I'd replace the drive yesterday and get all the data off. Then drop-kick it towards the nearest dumpster. It isn't worth the time to fiddle with an unreliable drive.

I'd put any firmware on it to see if it'll correct the issue. Try an older version to see if it fixes it? Flash the exact same firmware? Like rewrite it?

When it's working blast it with /dev/zero a couple times zero to end reboot and see what happens.

Who knows.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

I'd put any firmware on it to see if it'll correct the issue. Try an older version to see if it fixes it? Flash the exact same firmware? Like rewrite it?

When it's working blast it with /dev/zero a couple times zero to end reboot and see what happens.

Who knows.

My friend I don't think I can change the firmware of a seagate drive that easily :mellow: I read online that I will have to desolder and resolder the chip from the PCB to move the firmware!

And the update program I ran didn't update anything either, still same firmware on drive.

And with "/dev/zero" what do you mean? :D

Do you still have a different PCB attached? That might cause strange behaviour if something's not right.

MrS

No its the original drive's PCB. The one with the problem.

And with "/dev/zero" what do you mean? :D

didn't know drive wouldn't accept factory firmware.

/dev/zero is from Linux. Kernel device that spits out zeros. /null goes no where. Good for benchmarks.

What's with the hackers nick? :)