Sign in to follow this  
Brian

EMC Leads Market Share For All-Flash And Hybrid Arrays Discussion

EMC also rose to the top of the hybrid flash array market in both revenue by vendor and in raw capacity shipments. EMC’s revenue was one and half times that of NetApp’s, which came in second. From there the revenues drop quickly with HDS, IBM, Dell and HP finishing the list. Turning to capacity, based on raw SSD capacity shipped in a hybrid configuration, EMC shipped 45,273TB barely edging out Dell by 600TB.

EMC Leads Market Share For All-Flash And Hybrid Arrays

Oh man... I don't like this report. Someone tell me I'm crazy. I'll be fair and not make this a team 1 vs team 2 debate.

Report states "make sure you have a flash optimized platform that offers in-line compression and deduplication as well as other enterprise-class data services"

• EMC XtremIO did not have compression until 3.0 came out (recent). It is also missing some of the enterprise class services, like replication.

Not trying to knock XtremIO here, but want to make a point that the data used for the report is based on raw TB's shipped. If you aren't dehydrating data as well as the competitors, yeah, you're gonna ship more raw TB's. If array A gets me 3:1 and array B gets me 4:1 - I need to buy a lot more disk on array A.

Edited to add a thought; These are based on dollar amounts, so all that means is someone is probably more expensive than the other guy. Take it with a grain of salt.

As far as hybrid flash arrays go - I'm not sure how I feel yet... a little weird probably just because no two vendors manage how their data moves between tiers the same way. VNX moves chunks of data on a schedule. Nimble does everything realtime. By how they define a hybrid array, nothing EMC ships ISN'T a hybrid array. That's good news for the consumer, it's just a data point.

Edited by decoy5657

You bring up fair points - none of this market share data is perfect. And it's more or less impossible to compare this data to Gartner or anyone else because methods and definitions are different. Gartner has already made a mistake in the way they categorize AFAs that clearly skews the data to a handful of vendors. There are interesting data points though. I was shocked to see Nimbus on the list at all frankly.

Gartner has already made a mistake in the way they categorize AFAs that clearly skews the data to a handful of vendors.

How so?

I'm also surprised to see Nimbus on there.

Well, all flash Compellent doesn't count. Their definition is arguably poor, I think they'd agree after the backlash.