Sign in to follow this  
copeland33300

Windows 7 on an SSD - cluster size to use?

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I have a Crucial M550 1TB SSD. I was messing around with Roadkil's Speed Test and HD Tune and noticed that when the block size was at 512 and 1024 KB I was getting the best speeds. Would I benefit from doing the following:

Reformat the SSD and put on an OS partition of about 100GB at the standard 4KB cluster size, and then setting the rest to be at 512 or 1024 KB for the cluster size?

I suppose I'm also trying to figue out what these metrics are actually telling me, as I've read conflicting information on the web. Most places have said that leaving the 4KB size will be best, but nobody explains why. I'm hoping someone can give me that bit of info.

Anyway, thanks for reading this, and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

4K/default in Windows will be perfect for your SSD.

The speed tests you are looking at measure small block and large-block performance. SSDs and HDDs can move around larger data pretty quick, but still move around small data quick as well. The underlying blocksize of the filesystem is a bit detached from those measurements. Basically unless it is terribly wrong or misaligned, the default works perfectly.