Sign in to follow this  
ICN

SATA newbie questions

I need to upgrade storage in a PowerEdge T420 (page 24). The server has 8 slots for hot swap disks and 4 for cabled disks. My question is: Will ANY (Dell,Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, Toshiba, Refurbished) 3.5' SATA hard drive work? Do I need to look at any other specs of the disk/server for compatibility besides the SATA interface itself? (and besides being hot-swap or non hot-swap, of course)

I reached out to Dell support in order to know if there's a limit in the amount of storage space to upgrade and they told me there was no limit, but this document lists "maximum internal storage" as 32TB. Does this refer to another kind of storage or the support guy was wrong/sleepy?

Also, in the upgrade of a HP Compaq DC5850 Microtower, same question: Will ANY 3.5' SATA cabled hard drive work? and, can I unplug the optical drive and install 4 SATA hard drives?

Thanks in advance.

I didn't tear into these docs but the limits of "old" gear are usually when we migrated from 2TB disks to larger ones. The formatting of the HDDs changed making some HBAs obsolete that didn't offer modernized firmware along the way. So I hesitate to say ANY drive will work, because that may not be the case. If you find others playing nicely with large capacity HDDs with this config, then you should be fine.

but this document lists "maximum internal storage" as 32TB
Pure speculation on my part, but likely that means it was only tested with 4TB disks as those were the largest available at the time when the T420 was released, and 8 bays * 4TB = 32TB.

The T420 has several different controller options, you'd need to check the hardware compatibiity list (HCL) for each controller if you wanted specific tested configurations.